• Show
Clear All
  • stocktr8er
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Midland, TX
    • BT3000

moble compressor cabinet help

I saw a mobile assembly table with a compressor on board i a magazines lately which lead me to my next project.

I have an old twin canister wheel barrel style compressor which is heavy and simply a pain to move around. I want to mount it into a mobile cabinet with an assembly table top. I was thinking about a 2x4 bottom frame for strength to hold the load. With the compressor in the center, I am looking at shelves on one end and a recessed pegboard on the other. I know that the foot print would only be around 2' x 4' or so and so would only be used for smaller projects.

My real question/concern is air flow to the compressor. I originally thought I would use lattice to enclose it. But could I use solid panels (maybe even insulated) to lower the noise level. Can I just cut a couple air passages and at what size? What other problems am I over looking?

Thanks
    Curtis
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

You are probably gonna have to glue and screw whatever you make together, because vibration could cause nails and such to loosen up... You might think about rubber shock mounts on the compressor. Cooling for the compressor could be an issue, as most of them can get really hot, and you don't want either warpage and failure of the hardware or a fire... I'm not sure I'd want to conceal it, even if it makes things quieter. You got other tools that make noise, too. Can't bury them all.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      You are probably gonna have to glue and screw whatever you make together, because vibration could cause nails and such to loosen up... You might think about rubber shock mounts on the compressor. Cooling for the compressor could be an issue, as most of them can get really hot, and you don't want either warpage and failure of the hardware or a fire... I'm not sure I'd want to conceal it, even if it makes things quieter. You got other tools that make noise, too. Can't bury them all.

Yep, a bit DITTO on the heat issue !
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

But could I use solid panels (maybe even insulated) to lower the noise level.
        If noise is a concern, better to insulate your ears....ie: ear plugs or muffs.

You should have a look at this thread
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Most compressors have (whimpy) fan blades on the pully driving the actual compressor part. So burying the whole thing in a box with only a few air inlet holes/slots is probably not a good idea at all - that'll restrict cooling airflow too much. However, if the cabinet is made a bit wider than the compressor you can create a zig-zag pattern using thin hardboard - with 2 or 3 inch wide zig-zag passages on both sides of the compressor. Air should be able to get through; a little insulation stapled to these panels will absorb a lot of the sound. For short runs this ought to be enough cooling. For long runs, make the panels lift up-and-out (like cabinet doors that pass behind each other) so you get no airflow blockage at all and 100% noise too. Or consider adding small computer fan (you can get 120volt AC ones) to pump air into the box.

You'll still need some way to reach the drain port of the tank though; don't leave water accumulating in the tank since that can rust it from the inside out... not safe.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

You might want to consider, do you want a work table that will shake and jump every time the compressor starts while you are working on fine or delicate items?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• charliex
              • Mar 2004
              • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
              • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

What Loring said; plus every time my compressor starts I have to thump my chest to get my heart started again.

Comment

Working...