• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Ridgid DC5100 shop-vac DC setup.

Here is a recommendation for the Ridgid DC5100 shop-vac dust collection kit. I picked one up over a year ago as it was on clearance at the local HD (think it was just a local store clearance item).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC5100_3C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	793040

I finally got around to breaking the box open and attached a dual blast gate setup to the router table so I wouldn't have to keep swapping the shop-vac hose. Works slicker'n dog slobber.

It is available at Home Depot here. Worth it at the suggested price of $69.00, even better if you can find it on clearance. There is enough there for a pretty good number of connections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5307.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	793041

It did whistle a bit on one of the branches due to a loose fitting connection, some blue painters tape fixed that right up.
    Last edited by Stan; 10-19-2008, 10:58 PM.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com
  • goslin23
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Richmond, TX
    • Rigid TS3650

I picked up one of these kits as well. It hooks up nicely with my Ridgid OSS, C-man band saw, planer and router table that all have the 2 1/2" ports. I just need to pick up a longer hose to run to my 3650 and I'll be all set. In fact, the only tool that I have that has the 4" port is my Ridgid jointer, hmm!

-=gos=-
    If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• Brian G
      • Jun 2003
      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
      • G0899

Another option is Shop-Vac's kit for $40, found at http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393

Either way, one of these kits is helpful versus dragging a vac or having an octopus' worth of hose snaking around.
      Brian

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I am going to add another vote for the Shop Vac Sawdust Collection Kit. Same General setup as the Ridgid, but with yellow blast gates instead of orange. (I like the Ridgid Orange Better).

I will also highly recommend the Gore Clean Stream HEPA filter. No sense in spraying that dust you just picked up back into the air.

If you want to set up a good system based on a shop vac I would go with...

#1. A good shop vac with 2.5" hose. The Ridgid 12 gallon is the one I have and it works very well.
        #2. A Thien Cyclone Separator on a thick steel trash can, or a barrel. (2" PVC elbow, 2.5" dust collection adapter Peachtree item #387, figure out your own spacers, 3/4" plywood).
        #3. Connector hoses. Peachtree Woodworking (www.ptreeusa.com) has some good hose, and fittings. (50 bulk box of hose item #369, screw on adapters item #447).
        #4. Shop Vac Sawdust Collection Kit.(Shop Vac Item #801-75-11).
        #5. If the shop vac you purchased offers a silencer accessory, they are well worth it. My Ridgid Wet Dry Vac Noise Muffler reduces vacum noise by about half.
        #6. A HEPA Filter, for the reason I mention above. I suggested the Gore, because, the Ridgid HEPA I started with appeared to be some sort of treated paper, The Gore filter is Gore Tex material, and is washable with no ill effects. You CAN use the paper HEPA filters, but your budget won't like you in the long run. I started with one because it came in the box with my vac when I bought it...

Route your lines with as few, and if possible, NO 90 degree bends.

Make your tool connections...

I have had mine for a while now, and it works great, when I remember to use it. (Long story, planer, shavings EVERYWHERE now... Oh yeah I used that hose over.... you get the idea...
        Last edited by dbhost; 10-19-2008, 02:48 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by Brian G
          Another option is Shop-Vac's kit for $40, found at http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393

Either way, one of these kits is helpful versus dragging a vac or having an octopus' worth of hose snaking around.

That does look like a good deal. Looks like the only difference is no flexible hose with the Shop-Vac kit... but I think that could easily be made up with the $29 difference in price.
          From the NW corner of Montana.
          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Stan
            That does look like a good deal. Looks like the only difference is no flexible hose with the Shop-Vac kit... but I think that could easily be made up with the $29 difference in price.
            Trust me, you are going to want more than one flex hose. When I looked at the Ridgid kit, they were running $99.00 which was outrageous, the Shop Vac kit has been consistently $39.00 on their web site. I got two kits shipped for less than one Ridgid kit. Kind of sad too. I like the Ridgid Orange better. But that is just cosmetic...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...