• Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Clamp Cart

My version of Norm's clamp cart:

The big casters you guys talked about were definitely a good idea. Allows it to roll freely around the shop with no trouble despite the weight. I hope the wheels don't flat spot over time if it sits in one place for a while. That's really my only concern.

Went back and watched the episode where Norm builds his clamp cart after I was about done with this one. The ritual is to watch an episode with my three year old as he goes down for nap time. He looked at it and said -- is he buildin' one like we got ? hahaha You gotta love it.

One sheet of 3/4" plywood, three 8' lengths of 2x4 and some left over MDF pieces for the bottom shelf. Used the thick 3/4" MDF because I had the pieces and to give it as much weight down there as possible -- in addition to that little 2x4 framework. That framework at the bottom also helped to straighten out the crookedness of the plywood sides -- sandwiching them like that forced them straight.

Steve
    Last edited by ssmith1627; 09-02-2008, 08:24 PM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

hard to see where 32 sq ft of plywood went? Are they the horizontals and verticals?
    Looks good though.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, four verticals -- 6 inches wide each and 6 feet long. So that's what, 12 sq. feet ? Four cross pieces to hold each side together. Six "rails" to hold the clamps themselves and at the same time complete the framework. You could probably go with 4" wide pieces for all of those to cut down on the plywood useage. I obviously had a good bit left over.

But it wasn't something I really planned out that much. I figured out the length I wanted for the verticals to accomodate my longest clamps, the pipe clamps. I cut the tops and bottoms of each at 5 degrees and laid them out between my workbench and table saw so I could envision the next step of the cross pieces to form each side. From there, the cleats going between the two sides and then the base and then the wheels. Probably should've built it the other way, from the ground up, but it worked out fine.

Steve

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Looks good to me!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

Working...