What's wrong here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 4217
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

    #16
    All the conduit will be buried, except for the run down the wall. Most of it is 10" down, about 10' will be only 3" under. That portion is also up against the greenhouse.

    I didn't really check about putting UF-B inside a conduit.

    There are probably several items that don't exactly meet code. I'm pretty sure the panel location doesn't meet. The wall that it is on is only 5'-4" tall. I doubt there is enough clear space in front of it and beside it.
    Erik

    Comment

    • Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • 2913
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

      #17
      Keep in mind that "Code" is for fire protection and safety. The conduit should be at least 18" deep, cable is 24".

      Is the UF-B difficult to pull through the conduit?
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

      Comment

      • pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 4217
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

        #18
        Being that I've never tried pulling cable through a conduit before I can't really say. It probably would have been easier with 2" instead of 1-1/2". The 90 degree angles weren't easy. I was using the pre-bent ones. I'm sure I would have never been able to pull it all the way through four 10' straight sections and three 90s. The straight sections were really easy. For the run from the house to the shop I basically laid the cable out straight and slid the conduit along it.

        The attic was a different story. That was a real PIA. It's a fairly low pitched roof, 4:12 or 5:12. The cable also went out at the most remote corner of the house. I sure am glad it wasn't a hip roof.
        Erik

        Comment

        • 182much
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2008
          • 92
          • Norco, CA

          #19
          Sometimes I'm so stupid....I even amaze myself

          Comment

          • Crash2510
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 830
            • North Central Ohio

            #20
            that sucks I've done something like that a couple hundred times.

            to answer some of the questions code does allow cable to run through conduit but you will need to derate the wire to 80%. 6 AWG wire is normally capable of carring 60 amps but since it was run through conduit i would put need to be put on a 50 amp breaker. This is for safety because the wire won't be able to dissapate heat like it normally would if it was buried directly.
            Phil In Ohio
            The basement woodworker

            Comment

            Working...