What's wrong here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 4217
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

    #1

    What's wrong here?

    So I'm pulling the last 30' of 6/3 cable for a subpanel in my shop....

    Swell, really swell....
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 2969
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

    #2
    AH *%#@!!!!! Been there done that. Like I have said before
    "Done right Done twice" How did you fix it ? Or how many feet did you have to pull out of the conduit?

    Tom

    Comment

    • Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • 7091
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

      #3
      Sure hope those posts you had to cut off weren't for anything important...

      Comment

      • jonmulzer
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 946
        • Indianapolis, IN

        #4
        I thought I heard some loud cursing coming from the southwest.......
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

        Comment

        • shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • 1240
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

          #5
          I think that is classified as an OOPS!
          Attached Files
          Often in error - Never in doubt

          Mike

          Comment

          • Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • 10490
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

            #6
            Been there - Done that - the T shirt made a good rag!
            Don, aka Pappy,

            Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

            Comment

            • pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 4217
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

              #7
              It wasn't all that bad to fix, I had only pulled it through the first of the last three 10' sections making the final run to the shop. Pretty stupid move though. Surprisingly, I didn't even cuss (which is very unusual). I just laughed out loud for several minutes. Moron and f'n idiot were uttered too.

              The panel is in place and hot. I didn't even make any sparks or electrocute myself. The first branch circuit run was for the A/C. It's going to be really nice not running extension cords across the yard anymore.
              Erik

              Comment

              • cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • 15216
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

                #8

                http://www.healthbolt.net/wp-content...1/plan_pic.gif
                .

                Comment

                • Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • 7091
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

                  #9
                  I knew somebody would put this here, and I figured it would be you, C-Man...

                  Comment

                  • Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • 2913
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

                    #10
                    I don't see anything right in the picture!
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

                    Comment

                    • ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 2553
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                      #11
                      Been there - Done that - *burned* the dang shirt, Pappy!!
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

                      Comment

                      • Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • 2091
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Tom Slick
                        I don't see anything right in the picture!
                        I have some questions too now that you brought it up

                        1. Where is the other piece of conduit?
                        2. Why is the conduit above ground and sticking up in the air to catch water?
                        3. Is the conduit on the left eletrical or white drain pipe? Hard to tell in the picture.
                        4. What kind of wire is that? You did have the wires color tagged someplace on both ends of that run since they are all gray... right? Not to mention that you should really run a 4 wire service to an outbuilding, but that is debatable by some.

                        Don't mind me... I just notice things like this because of the job I have.

                        Comment

                        • pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 4217
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

                          #13
                          The conduit to the right is coming down from the soffit on the corner of the house. The other conduit on the left was getting pushed/pulled along the last 30' straight run to the shed. They were all joined and sealed once I pulled the cable back around that 4' steel pipe heavy duty canoe rack.

                          The cable is a 6-3 UF-B with ground.

                          I bought a UF cable because I intended on not running conduit to the shop. I ran into a bunch of large roots when digging the trench, and they kept getting bigger on the way down. That tree isn't doing very well and I really didn't want to go hacking the root system up. I put it in condiut because the cable was a lot shallower than I would prefer.
                          Erik

                          Comment

                          • dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 9562
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

                            #14
                            Originally posted by pelligrini
                            So I'm pulling the last 30' of 6/3 cable for a subpanel in my shop....

                            Swell, really swell....
                            You forgot to cut the poles down first?
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

                            Comment

                            • Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • 2913
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

                              #15
                              I don't want to rain on your parade but..
                              Does you local code allow pvc conduit to be run on the ground with UF-B cable run inside of it? There is the issue with cable inside conduit, generally not acceptable except in short runs for physical protection. PVC conduit generally has to be buried or attached to the building/structure. Being plastic it needs some type of protection and should be schedule 80 when it's that exposed. 10 years from now when it is nice and brittle and the weed wacker hits it...
                              Last edited by Tom Slick; 08-10-2008, 01:36 PM. Reason: added info.
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

                              Comment

                              Working...