Storage Ideas while I wait for my shed...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Storage Ideas while I wait for my shed...

Okay I have been busy investigating what it would take in my city, and subdivision to put a storage shed in the back yard. The process is cumbersome as I will need permits (even with a shed on skids), and architectural control committee approvals which are tough to get... So I am considering moving my camping gear around so I can get my shop better set up... My thoughts are..

#1. Deck even more of the attic. The attic over the garage is only partially decked.
    #2. Stow as much small, damage sensitive stuff into the giant (152qt) ice chests (I have 2 I use during hunting season). Stow everything else possible into totes, and stow it all in the attic...
    #3. The lawn and garden stuff can be stashed in the cubby at the front of the garage on the right where the shop vac is now.. I.E. hang the wheelbarrow, shovels, rakes, edger, weed eater, hedge trimmers, etc... Wheel the mower into the cubby as well.

This would leave the NB Smoker Bandera in the way. (3ft x 4ft floor space consumed). I keep my BBQ accessories in and around the smoker when it is stored. And yes I know most people keep their smokers outside. I don't want to replace mine anytime soon... my last one rusted out really badly...

#4. Finish replacing the legs on the bench with longer legs. I can stow the shop vac under there and fire it up with a remote switch...

I think this would allow me to open up the wall on the right side, which is where I have space from the door opening to the wall, to mount my DC ducting, and stow large power tools when not in use...

My question is really for those that live in southern regions where it gets hot, so guys like LarryL, LCHIEN, etc... or anyone else that has experience with this...

Am I going to damage things like Tents, sleeping bags, camp stoves, backpacks etc... by storing them in the attic? Is it a real pain to do this?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

They will not get damaged in the attic but I would stow as much as possible in totes so mice don't eat them. I would also only store what you need but once or twice a year. This fall I will put some fold down stairs in to make it more convenient to get up there. That way the luggage, etc can be stored up there and it is't such a hassle to get there.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

What Crockett said, but remember that this time of year it will be HOT up there, so be aware of stuff that might soften, melt, etc.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Like my head...

I've got folding stairs, which helps. I have a Bayou behind the house, and this last year was BAD, when my wife and I were out of town on vacation, we had some sort of critter rip a hole in the soffit, which was more than enough to let rats move in... It took me almost 2 months of trapping, and poisoning them to finally get them out of my house... That is why I worry about using the attic as actual storage. That problem will go away with the Hardi Panel / Hardisoffit job planned for next spring...
        Last edited by dbhost; 08-02-2008, 09:01 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I'm down here pretty close to the Equator, hot with wide humidity swings. I agree with David. You could use matched plastic storage containers. It would help to write on the side what's in them.

You could set out paradichlorobenzene crystals for pest control.

Comment

• Larryl
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Lorena, TX, USA.
            • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is overhead storage. Some things like wood, cut-down sheet goods, dowels, long clamps can be stored overhead with special racks. This will free up an amazing amount of floor space.
            I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Larryl
              One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is overhead storage. Some things like wood, cut-down sheet goods, dowels, long clamps can be stored overhead with special racks. This will free up an amazing amount of floor space.
              Got the clamps handled...

Lumber storage is a consideration for sure... My overhead is kind of tight though... I have a 15 foot canoe, two bikes, and several lawn tools up there too!

The dark green thing in the top of the pic is the canoe. You can sort of make out the bikes on the right...

The legs on the bench are litereally about 6" too short. I am planning on changing them out for 6" longer legs (already cut, been cut, been too lazy to install them). I am also planning on one of those rolling tool carts so that things like my planer, oscillating sander (not pictured) etc... are easily available.

I have been stashing camping gear in my 152QT ice chests, and that seems to be helping... I may end up taking up all the space in my cubby for this project...
              Last edited by dbhost; 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, well, I have been busting my backside trying to get the garage / workshop clean, and orderly. The camping gear that will fit, is in totes, or ice chests (I have a collection). It is stacked up just below the attic stairs, and I give up for now... It's too hot in the garage / shop alone. I don't even want to consider what the attic is like right now...

I am SERIOUSLY considering moving this stuff, as well as seasonal goodies / wedding leftovers into one of the spare bedrooms (Wife and I have a 4br and no kids, yet, not that we don't want them though...). That will keep the camping gear out of the garage, and out of the attic while we get a shed in place...

Now how do I get this stuff back into the house without the wife noticing?

Comment

• shoottx
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2008
                  • Plano, Texas
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Now how do I get this stuff back into the house without the wife noticing?
                  As soon as you figure out the answer to this conundrum, you can retire because the book income will be in the zillions
                  Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Hmmm gift wrapped boxes?

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Holy socks batman that is FUNNY!

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

I would turn one of the bedrooms into a storage room. That is what I did as the kids left. I even put shelving units up in the room. All the seasonal stuff is stored in there among other things.

Might be able to sneak things into the closets of the extra bedrooms.

Can't you get a cover for the smoker and keep it outside.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by TheRic
                          Can't you get a cover for the smoker and keep it outside.
                          That's how smoker #1 ended up a pile of Iron oxide in the landfill... And since Char Broil bought out New Braunfels Smoker (for those not familiar with New Braunfels Smoker and Oklahoma Joes, this was NOT a good thing...), the Bandera is no longer available. I am gonna keep this one around as long as possible...

I actually keep the 'dera under a cover in the shop...

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

Yea, you ought to make one into a storage room. You might try telling your wife about the necessity of storing certain items in a climate controlled place.

You could also ask the question "What would you prefer, a finishing room or a storage room?" (make sure your AC is working before asking, you might be sleeping in the garage later)

We don't have any beds in the other 3 bedrooms in our house either. The kids are out, and it's going to stay that way. Guests can sleep on an air-bed or the couch, if they don't like it they can get a hotel room. Extra beds always tended to attract freeloaders around my place. Guests' stays shouldn't be counted in months.

My office is in one of them. I slowly took over one guest bedroom by gradually moving all my old computer items in. Finally the bed got moved out in order to get the 4 rackmount cabinets located. Somehow, it couldn't fit back into it. My wife has the other one as her sewing/craft room.

I'm really hoping my daughter will get tired of sleeping on the floor of the front living room/aquarium room soon.
                            Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

We've got the master suite, a home office, and 2 spares. The wife and I are working on filling them, and paring down the home office to a small desk and tall filing cabinet in the master... Part of those projects you know...

A shed will take a LOT of this pressure off for sure. I guess I could rent a storage locker, but I hate those places...

Comment

Working...