• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

Need source for inexpensive shop cabinets

I acquired several new, large tools over the summer. Between this and several ongoing projects my garage shop has declined to utter disarray I have a long wall (approx. 15 feet) that is ideal to set up base / wall cabinets with a large work surface (can never have too much). My original plan was to build all the cabinets myself for better quality, less cost, and to customize the cabinets to the space. However, I have a very long list of projects already and have decided that this is one where I don't mind buying prefab. Appearance isn't really a concern, but cost is a big factor. I want to keep them as inexpensive as possible without buying garbage. I have looked at the Coleman cabinets at Lowe's and like them but with the number I have to buy (3-4 base cabinets and 3-4 wall cabinets) the cost will be more than I really want to spend. I would love for at least some of the base cabinets to have drawers, but I know that runs the cost up too. Any suggestions for cheap knock-downs that aren't junk? Thanks.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Maybe check Craigslist or Freecycle for someone dumping off cabinets from a kitchen remodel project? Just a thought, maybe a stupid one, but a thought none the less...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

I was thinking the same thing as DB. do you know any general contractors or kitchen/bathroom people. The base for one of my main benches came from one of my bathrooms when I ripped it out.

If you contacted some local ones and said you would help them by hauling away anything they rip out they may be happy to help as it saves them the trouble.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• dewi1219
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by dbhost
        Maybe check Craigslist or Freecycle for someone dumping off cabinets from a kitchen remodel project? Just a thought, maybe a stupid one, but a thought none the less...
        I have actually been checking both Freecycle and Craigslist for several months now, but nothing has turned up yet. I'm to the point now where I don't really want to wait around any more...

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

If you have a Habitat for Humanity surpless store in your area they are another great source.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

H4H is a source I hadn't thought of. There isn't one here, but where my Brother, Sister in law, and mom all live there is one... They are a GREAT source for salvage / recycled materials.

How cheap do you want to go?

I know both Homie Depot and Lowes carry some cheap poplar cabinets that might fit the bill for you...

Or perhaps a cabinet isn't the right option for you... What about a rolling stand / cart thingy?

Or you could do something similar, but with peg board for even more storage...
            Last edited by dbhost; 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dewi1219
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              If you have a Habitat for Humanity surpless store in your area they are another great source.
              Great idea! I had forgotten, but there is a Habitat for Humanity store just down the road from my office. There is also another salvage store that I was going to check out too, but their deals usually aren't that great.

How cheap do you want to go?

I know both Homie Depot and Lowes carry some cheap poplar cabinets that might fit the bill for you...
              As cheap as possible - $500 is about the absolute max I want to spend for all 6-8 cabinets if possible. Even less would be great. Can you point me to an example of the poplar cabinets? I haven't seen them, but I only looked in the garage organization section at Lowe's. I'm guessing they may be out of my price range, but if they're decent and close to budget I might stretch it a bit.
              What about a rolling stand / cart thingy? Or you could do something similar, but with peg board for even more storage...
              That rolling cart / storage shelf combo from Shopnotes is already on the to do list. But I have way more junk in addition that I need the cabinets for...

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

I know you say you have lots of projects on the go but given that you are spending time now researching and then will still have to spend a weekend buying assembling and installing them why dont you just bite the bullet and build at least the large base unit. Doing that shouldnt take more than a weekend and you will have what you want.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Tom Clark
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Deming, NM
                  • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

By far the best quality cabinets you can get are the ones you make yourself, because you put your money into materials instead of labor and high cost-profit markups. The photo below is just to present a few ideas of what is easily possible. Check the link out for many more ideas.

Then compare what you can build to what you can buy and you would never consider purchasing. Most low-end stuff is made from very poor materials.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Black wallnut; 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM. Reason: broken link removed

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by poolhound
                    I know you say you have lots of projects on the go but given that you are spending time now researching and then will still have to spend a weekend buying assembling and installing them why dont you just bite the bullet and build at least the large base unit. Doing that shouldnt take more than a weekend and you will have what you want.

I vote for building yourself. But, you'll do what you want no matter how we vote. Try calling CABINET SHOPS. That hasn't been specifically suggested. There has to be some in your area. I save, sell, give away any cabinets or fixtures I remove. Or call St. Vincent DePaul, or a Salvation Army store. Or look in the yellow pages for "used furniture", or the newspaper classified section.

Comment

• dewi1219
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Birmingham, AL

I really WANT to build them myself, just for the reasons mentioned - better quality at a lower cost. But I NEED to take a few items off of my project list and I thought this might be the best place to start. I'll check the salvage stores and see if they have anything to offer. If not, I'll probably go ahead and build them myself. I have a Kreg jig, so I could whip up the carcasses fairly quickly. But the doors and drawers would be a different story...

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

There should be a lot of Lowe's and Home Depot locations in a metro as large as Birmingham. You might check with some/all of them and see if they have any damaged cabinets they'd sell you at a discount. Carcass damage (within reason) wouldn't matter to you as much as it would for a kitchen installation. Doors and drawer fronts could be replaced over time, as you have time to make new ones, both to eliminate damage and to make them all match, if that's important to you.

Another approach, recently featured in one of the WW mags, would be to build a work surface and store your stuff below in a bunch of those large plastic tubs with snap-on lids, stacked two or three high depending on their sizes. Not as attractive or convenient as doors and drawers; but you won't beat it for price if you just need bulk storage space.
                        Last edited by LarryG; 08-01-2008, 08:57 AM.
                        Larry

Comment

• dewi1219
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Birmingham, AL

That's another good suggestion Larry - thanks. There are plenty of Lowe's and HD's around here so I'll see if they have any damaged cabinets or cancelled orders.

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Call the Salvation Army, VOA, Goodwill, etc. Are there places like Grossman's "Mr. 2nd's" Bargain Outlet near you?
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

Around here there's Hoods, which is hit or miss on what you're looking for, but there's all sorts of goofy junk for next to nothing.

I got a dozen sink cutouts (the part that's inside the hole before the hole is cut) once for free when I bought a couple of $1 paint brushes.
                              g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...