X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billfrommich
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

relating to permits

I am strongly considering getting permits for the work I am doing myself in setting up a basement shop. Mainly because I have heard that not having permits can be grounds for denial of insurance claims (still not sure about that though). Also, I would have a bit more peace of mind if the work was checked out by a professional. After looking at the Electrical permit form (which seemed to be very relavent) I also looked at the Mechanical permit form. The Mechanical form dealt with things such as ductwork, vents, etc. associated with a home's HVAC system, and also, for instance, things like a stove's exhaust hood. There did not seem to be anything explicitly dealing with a workshop dust collection setup, air filtering set up, fresh air intake vents and exhaust vents, etc. but it seems like that should be covered as well. Can anyone offer any advice on this aspect of the permit process?
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Don't know what state you live or the town, but

in central Florida you need to pull a permit if there's structral change that's to be performed. That includes additions, electrical, plumbing, ect. There's no coverage used in the wording of permits for home owner's shop for DC down here. Sorry can't help you out more.

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I'm in the middle of doing interior finishing of my garage and I had the electrician that installed the sub-panel pull a state electrical permit, and I got a city permit for the insulation and drywall.

Although I've done work in the house without getting a permit, it seems with more and more home buyers springing for a home inspection, I'd rather not get caught with anything out of compliance.

JMHO, YMMV.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to your questions as the permitting situation varies by city/county/state/etc. My guess is that you won't find a requirement for permitting a dust collection system installation since that would generally not be considered part of the structure. OTOH, ventilation probably would be covered.

One thing to understand is that building permits are, in part, a profit center for the issuing agencies. In many cases if you call and ask whether you need a permit to do this or that, they'll just say Yes automatically.
        Larry

Comment

• Rand
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Getting permits is also a great way to have your property tax increased.
          Rand
          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I suggest you go in to city hall (or wherever your permitting agency resides) and have a chat. The people in there are usually very helpful.

JR
            JR

Comment

• just started
              • Mar 2008
              • suburban Philly

If you do go in to talk, don't mention permits. Ask about if there are regulations covering what you want to do. Let them tell you, and they will, if a permit(s) is needed and what kinds.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Just started made a really good point.

There may be some OSHA standards for dust collection, but I don't know of any in the International building codes. That's not saying that there isn't any buried in there somewhere.
                Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  Just started made a really good point.

There may be some OSHA standards for dust collection, but I don't know of any in the International building codes. That's not saying that there isn't any buried in there somewhere.
                  OSHA is of course the occupational Safety and Health admin
                  They are primarily concerned with providing paid workers a safe working environment in commercial shops, they probably don't have jurisdiction for a home, hobby shop.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RAFlorida
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                    • Ryobi BT3000

OSHA doesn't cover the home owner.

Just Started said the magical phrase, "If you do go in to talk, don't mention permits." They will tell you what is, and what isn't. (unless you get some dingbat.)
                    edit: I mean a clerk that is not an inspector, not a dingbat. I quit while I have only one foot in my mouth...
                    Last edited by RAFlorida; 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

When I had my house built, both the architect and the builder had my description of "workshop" on the plans changed to "utility area". Apparently, there are considerably more regulations, fire codes and permit requirements hereabouts when a dedicated shop space in in play. I don't know if this applies to your area, but you might want to bear this in mind as you converse with your permitting authorities.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Indianapolis, IN

Don't get a permit. You are going to increase your hassle factor a thousand fold. With government agencies and women it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. If you do this, and your regulatory agencies are like mine they will automatically reassess your property taxes, and they never go down. You are going to have to have inspectors into your home to check out everything and they only work from the hours of 9am-4pm, minus their two hour lunch break. They are also like the cable company, they will be there between the hours of 9 and 4 and if you are not there when they show up, you are SOL and they will reschedule 3 months down the road. You are going to have to take a day off work every time this happens.

Government has no knowledge of two words: effective or cheap. Save yourself the hassle and do it right but without the permit, your budget and timeline will thank you.
                        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Well, the city inspector just left after the preliminary inspection of the insulation and vapor barrier. We spent maybe five minutes on the inspection and another half-hour just shooting the breeze. No hassles at all, and he was more than helpful when I asked a couple of construction questions.

Our previous inspector WAS a nasty, vindictive SOB, so knowing who's you're going to be working with might affect whether you pull a permit or if it's not worth the problems.
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• paintandbodtman
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2006

your original post expressed insurance concerns if you fail to get proper permits,if I were you I would go insurance shopping.Don't go to the company you have your policy presently with.Go to several companies and drop the hint that you will have a woodworking shop in the basement, you'll probably be asked all kinds of questions about the extent of work you'll be doing,such as sanding,finishing,ect,ect,and you may find out that insurance is going to be iffy whether you get proper permits or not as far as the remodeling goes.Hopefully you will never have a claim but if you do and its related to the woodworking you may have problems regardless.
                            Just food for thought.

Wayne

Comment

• Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

This is just a guess but I'd doubt you'd need a permit for workshop dust collector ducting. The other home ducting is inspected to ensure exhaust fumes and heat is ducted away, proper insulation, water tight penetrations, etc. you have none of that with a workshop dust collector.
                              I'd pull permit on electrical unless you are doing very minor electrical work.
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...