Smallish yard, shed workshop pics / ideas please!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Smallish yard, shed workshop pics / ideas please!

So, I either build a shed in the yard to house my camping / hunting / BBQ / Gardening tools, which the wife seems to like just where they are, or I build a shed / shop similar to Pappy, perrigrini, dkerfoot, etc...

So guys (and / or gals) how about some ideas? I have limited space in my back yard, I have a deck which I am NOT crazy about (too big, bad position, we never use it), a concrete patio, and a bunch of bushes that need to get ripped out when I redo my back fence. I am along a bayou so neighbors rearward of me aren't a problem, I do have a cable easement through my property though. I think I will be limited to 12x16 at the largest. I need to keep SOME lawn for my dog to play in! So post up ideas, and pics, give me some ideas to work with please!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Somewhere I have an article, or maybe it's a bookmark pointing to an article, that shows an excellent layout for two or three shops of about those dimensions. I can't find it. The principal points it made were to put stuff on wheels, to place the right end of the table saw against the middle of one of the longer walls, and to stagger the heights of things so infeed/outfeed can go over other nearby tools when necessary.

If you don't also have a height restriction, frame the walls 10 feet high. In a small shop, wall space -- so you can get crap up off the floor, out of your way -- is almost more important than floor space. You can put shelves or cabinets up high for dead storage, and when you're trying to flip long stock end for end in tight quarters, you'll appreciate the extra headroom. My previous shop space measured 10' x 19' inside, and it actually wasn't too bad for the tooling I had then (BT, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 13" planer, router table, dust collector, 42" x 60" assembly table). The six foot of headroom, however, was murder. The building I'm in now is a two-car garage, with seven feet of headroom. I'd gladly choose another foot vertically over any additional floor space.
    Larry

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I have a 10 x 12 Tuff Shed Tall Barn for my shop. The BT3, Jointer Planer, and Miter saw are stored and used in the garage along with a lumer rack, The shop hold a bandsaw, drill press router table, lathe and 2 work benches and stroage cabinet. There is also a loft I use to store wood and other stuff. I have a 8x9 deck out side I use also. I have built 3 55gal. aquarium stands and my 18 drawer work bench for Tom Clarks book for shop cabinets. The shop is insulated, has oil filled radiator style heater for winter and a window AC for summer. If LOML ever booted me I could stay out there and be comfortable. On picture shows the router table shoved over in the corner for more room I can also move stuff out to the deck if I need more room. I do it even in the winter, just cover in plastic and then a blue tarp. There is also a skylight which doesn't show up in the picture becase I have the loft access cover for AC purposes. This is a city size back yard the shop has 3ft between it and the two fences. I could have made it a little bigger but didn't want to get a permit or getting to close to the house. The first picture it is 22ft 8in from the back of the house to the fence on the left and 17ft 8 in from the side yard fence to the house in the last picture. Also there is a 8x8 storge shed for the garden equipemt and supplies behind me in the last picture.

Tom
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TB Roye; 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

If I were to build a small shop from scratch, (mine was there from the previous homeowner), I would definately put it on a concrete slab. Height would certainly be increased, 8'-6" absolute minimum and hopefully a storage loft above that space.

If I remember correctly, you've already got a double car garage and your truck won't fit in it. You'd probably be better off building just a storage shed and freeing up the garage space. The shed for the other items doesn't need power, lighting, slab, etc.
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
          If I remember correctly, you've already got a double car garage and your truck won't fit in it. You'd probably be better off building just a storage shed and freeing up the garage space. The shed for the other items doesn't need power, lighting, slab, etc.
          Space is the biggest reason for needing a shed. But it isn't my only consideration for moving the shop into a shed...

I figure with a shed, I can design / build in the features and functions that will make this building kind of the guy refuge. I love my wife to death, but there is only so much potpourri and roses a guy can take you know?

I can design my space to be effective, and not be constrained to work with architectural mistakes of decades past... So I am fishing for ideas...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

T B's shed looks nice as it is about the same size as my first shop in 1972. That was a brief period when I moved to Florida after VN. I had to move storage boxes outside each time I worked in the shop and put them back when done. Not an ideal situation but you have to deal with the cards you get dealt.

And don't think with that kiind of space you can't build something as you are limited. The only limitation is your imagination. Where there's a will... there's definitley a way IMO.

Good luck D.B.....

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
              Space is the biggest reason for needing a shed. But it isn't my only consideration for moving the shop into a shed...

I figure with a shed, I can design / build in the features and functions that will make this building kind of the guy refuge. I love my wife to death, but there is only so much potpourri and roses a guy can take you know?

I can design my space to be effective, and not be constrained to work with architectural mistakes of decades past... So I am fishing for ideas...
              OK, I can totally sympathize with the so called ' it smells good' stuff. I also like being able to lock my shop and have the only key. My wife has a tendency to borrow tools and fasteners, especially if they were bought for a specific project. Coming home and seeing her cleaning my palm sander with her steamer was disconcerting, she also used all the 220 paper and didn't tell me.

If I were to do another one on a slab I'd put in a couple floor plugs before the pour. Some folks have mentioned raised floor panels for dust collection etc., but I would definitely prefer a flat slab. There's an old iron jointer nearby for a decent price, but that 400lb thing would crush right through my rotting floor joists. Maybe plumbing in a couple 4" PVC pipes to from the middle floor to a point for collection might be nice.

A separate area for material storage is good. Pappy and I added one to the sides. Doing something like that would give a lot more wall area for a lumber rack and sheetgoods, and keep it out of the shopspace. I put sheet material on one side and rack supports on the other long side of the add-on. I can easily store and access up to 12' long boards. The middle space gets used for a couple sawhorses, shop vac, trash can serving as chip collection. I have to pull most of that out to really get to the material, but it's usually coming out anyways during a woodworking session.

Windows are nice, but they'll take out usable wall space. I still like the one I have in the back of my shop. It'll provide some natural light, and ventilation. A window fan helps with that too. Consider UV damage from one though. Mine faces south and I’ve bleached out a few things unintentionally.. I need to get that awning built for it. If I had the room I would mount the thru-wall AC unit above the window, saving usable wall area.
              Last edited by pelligrini; 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM.
              Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I guess some guys don't get it, but I basically want a man cave as it were... For just the reasons you cite...

I will likely have to do mine on skids and not a slab though. There are covenants & restrictions to deal with. I CAN have a shed on skids, I CAN NOT have a shed on a slab. No idea why, but it's in there...

I am planning on a lofted mini barn kind of thing, with perhaps a side extension like yours & Pappy's. I figure with my yard, the biggest I can go is 12wx16d.

This may sound screwy, but I was thinking about building a new deck, and basically building a shed on a large section of the deck, so that the shed is at least 1' off the ground to keep moisture away. Might be a stupid idea though...

I would avoid south facing windows entirely. And the entire thing would be insulated. I would most likely select an affordable, decent quality through wall HVAC unit. (Sort of a through wall A/C with heat, not sure what they call those) as my window unit I currently have is really more for tent camping in the state parks in the summer...

I don't have the budget, or interest in a giant jointer, the Sunhill SM150B works well enough for me for now anyway...

I think my biggest worries will be for an assembly table, lathe, and band saw. I figure if I have everything on a rolling cart, and can wheel it out to work LONG pieces, I should be fine...

My Woodworking tips email sent me a very interesting idea... Sort of a take off on Wood Magazines cart that Alex Franke built...

You see where that disk / belt sander is? Permanently mount your planer in that slot, and leave all of the sides exposed with no peg board or anything, so you can access the infeed / outfeed / adjusters / switch etc... You simply roll the cart to where it is needed, plug it in, plug in the DC hose, and get to work. You can position this to wherever you need it depending on how long your stock is... And you get tons of additional storage space...

The Bobpslans Ultimate workbench is currently under construction...
                This bench SHOULD be usable for both router table, and assembly table, not to mention space efficient...

A modified version of Suwat's space saving clamp rack that will hold 2 more of each size, and 1 additional size. He sized his for 10 each of what appear to be 6", 12", and 24". I have 12 each of 6", 12", 24", and 36".
                Last edited by dbhost; 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
                  (Sort of a through wall A/C with heat, not sure what they call those)
                  There are several terms, but PTAC, for Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner, is perhaps most common. Some mount in the wall only (the typical motel arrangement) while others can be hung out of a window, like a cooling-only unit.

A few tips for designing your shed/shop. Don't draw a 12 x 16 rectangle, center a door in one end, and then say, "Okay, how can I fit my tools into this thing?" Instead, work from the inside out. Throw out all your preconceived notions about where this or that tool or workstation should go. Start with the elements that cannot move, such as your primary workbench and hard-plumbed shop vac. Then add the elements that you'd prefer not to move -- generally, the bigger, heavier tools that will see frequent use. Finally, think about the elements that can move, figuring out where they need to be when in use (critical) and where they can store when not (less critical, perhaps even immaterial). As you work through this process, shift things around, sometimes by whole feet, other times just a few inches, examining how each change of position affects the overall picture. Think about how you can position doors and windows so that they least affect, or even enhance, the operation of your tools. (A window with a sill 2" higher than your table saw is an obstacle. A window with a sill 2" lower than your table saw could be opened for outfeed clearance when ripping long stock.)

In doing it this way, you may find that instead of a 12 x 16 building, a 14 x 14 layout, or a 10 x 20, or an 11 x 18 -- all nearly identical in square footage -- will work much better. Of course you do have to keep your approximate maximum dimensions vaguely in mind, otherwise you'll end up with a 50 x 100 building.

But, as I said, it's important to set aside any current thoughts you may have about the exact dimensions or internal arrangement. You have an opportunity to do something many woodworkers never get to do: build a shop from scratch, and build it just the way you want it. Your back yard is a blank slate. Make sure your sheet of paper is equally blank as you begin the design process.
                  Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Make sure you beef up the support under the exterior walls. You’ll be transferring quite a load down through them, especially if you do some sort of loft storage too.

I found out recently that my shed is just supported on 3 4x4' skids one down the middle and the others about 18" from the side walls. I finally started rearranging some perimeter shelving and drawers so I could put my rolling drill press cart against a wall. The back right corner had dropped significantly. My drill press rolled right into it when it got moved near the slope. If it didn’t hit a stud it probably would have gone through the wall. Wood rot, some termite damage, a cantilever, and a large load are starting to crush some of the 2x6 joists. Perimeter reinforcement/foundation is next on my short list.
                    Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I know my tool selection is going to have to be not only bang for my bucks, but also space efficient. I have a good amount of these tools already, and am working on filling in the blanks. My thought is, a nice mini barn shed / shop is what I have in mind, along with a complete deck redesign so that I shift everything over to the back side of the lawn where no-one goes anyway...

My choice of a 12xwhatever size is based on being limited to 14' between the edge of the flower beds, and the utility right of way (underground cable) going through my back yard. So 14x14 is out of the question as I need to be able to get around the shed to the side of the house as well...

The tool inventory that has to fit will be...

Ryobi BTS-21 Table Saw. This saw gets no respect, but it cuts straight cuts exactly where I want them, and runs my Dado set fine... It's no BT3x00, but it's no BTS-10 either...

Okay I changed my mind about the band saw. I have been going through the BT3Central Archives, and aside from the directions to assemble it, the people that actually own one, seem to honestly like the Central Machinery 32208 14" band saw. Modded slightly. (Central pulley removed, motor and drive pulleys connected via link belt). Reports from active members here with that exact configuration and a riser block are that it makes for a respectable band saw that is reliable, works well, and easy on the budget.

PSI Turncrafter Pro VS with extension bed. I wish it had a bigger swing over capacity. I like the capacity of the Central Machinery 14x41, but the stamped steel framing I am not so sure about...

B&D Firestorm FS100L Miter Saw on folding stand. I figure stowed, I am going to store stuff under the stand. II may build a basic storage cabinet for small tools that this will straddle when put away.

B&D Firestorm plunge router.

Router table / router cart. This will probably go away once my workbench / router table is done.

Ryobi AP1301 13" Planer.

Big old stack of clamps.

Ridgid 12 gallon wet / dry vac.

Sunhill SM150B 6" Benchtop jointer.

Workbench with built in clamping system.

HF Bench Grinder Stand.

Ryobi BGH616 6" bench grinder. This thing is flush with features for sharpening tasks that are absolutely stunning for any grinder, and to find them at this price point makes this grinder a deal too good to pass up. I am adding one next pay period.

Ryobi DP120L drill press. I'm not completely sold on this. I like the idea of a floor model where I can drill things like table legs, but space, space, space space... What to do about that?

Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander.

After that, we get into the stacks of smaller tools, handhelds like circ saw, biscuit joiner, drills, etc...

I can tell you for sure, with the array of drill bits, forstner bits, hole saws, spade bits not to mention router bits, small tool storage and organization will be at a premium as well. I am unsure of how to deal with that problem, but I have some ideas...
                      Last edited by dbhost; 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

My Tuff Shed shop sits on 4 inches of 3/4" crushed stone and has 2 X 6 galvanized steel rim and floor joists. Besides it is in the highest part of the yard so drainage is not a problem. If I had it to do over again I would have a larger one 12 x14 or 16. I might have gotten away with a 14ft. width. As it sits it cost 3K and I did the wiring, insulation, dry wall and installed the loft and deck. The building permit would have cost $400-$600 depending on the size and cost.

Tom

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Redford MI.
                          • Craftsman 21829

And don't forget the MDF.

LARRYG: A few tips for designing your shed/shop. Don't draw a 12 x 16 rectangle, center a door in one end, and then say, "Okay, how can I fit my tools into this thing?" Instead, work from the inside out. Throw out all your preconceived notions about where this or that tool or workstation should go.
                          How about you just copy RodKirby's Garage workshop. Or better yet start with his workshop and pare it down till it fits in your space. Makes life simpler and avoids all those planning headaches. Don't forget the MDF wood of choice of that mad down under biker dude.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Okay scrub this idea. I have had a run in with my HOA... I did not catch this little piece of my covenants & restrictions...

"No structure of a temporary character, whether trailer, basement, tent, shack, garage, barn or other outbuilding shall be maintained or used on any Lot at any time as a residence, or for any other purpose, with the exception of lawn storage or children's playhouses which have received Architectural Control Committee approval;"

So long story short, I CAN have a lawn storage shed, but I cannot use it as a workshop. So the lawn and BBQ stuff goes into a smaller shed than I had planned, and the workshop stays in the garage...

I sooooo want a piece of land out in the country instead of dealing with this stupid HOA garbage...

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

I don't see the problem, tell them you just have better and bigger toys.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...