• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

All of you who have installed these overhead or similarly hard-to-reach, how do you manage to disengage the 'lock'? I assume once you pull the cable out, you need to fiddle at the reel to allow it to be reeled back in?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• RobC
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2003
      • Arlington, VA, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
      All of you who have installed these overhead or similarly hard-to-reach, how do you manage to disengage the 'lock'? I assume once you pull the cable out, you need to fiddle at the reel to allow it to be reeled back in?
      For my electrical reel, I just need to pull the cord out a little bit more to disengage the "lock" and take the cord back up. It's under tension, so once the lock is disengaged, it spools back into the housing. No fiddling at the reel itself.

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

Originally posted by RobC
        For my electrical reel, I just need to pull the cord out a little bit more to disengage the "lock" and take the cord back up. It's under tension, so once the lock is disengaged, it spools back into the housing. No fiddling at the reel itself.
        I agree it easy to get them to retract, it's harder to get them to stay out. Not difficult, just have to get he right spot. Same as the old blinds. I normally get it right in the second or third try. Rare case I might need 4 or 5 times to get it to stay, normally when I'm in a rush.
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Originally posted by bigstick509
          I'm a big fan of overhead reels, the air reel is a 25' HF #46104, and the electrical reels are 30' craftsman 14/3 tri-tap #83929 and a HF 40' 12/3 tri-tap #91470.
          Our short air hose, is the 25' listed above. Our lights/extension cords (there is one up on the ceiling, that hasn't been extracted, since the 60's, unknown brand), are a mix of Craftsman, and Mac tools. (our decent tool truck)

As for locking, some of them seem directional, like mini blinds. You pull one way to lower, and the other way, unlocks and it will wind.

I do prefer the manual air reel, and I so far prefer my shorter, 12/? multi outlet extension cords for home.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

just remembered, that i too have a craftsman light with a 25ft reel that winds in itself with just a tug. you sometimes have to help feed by simply holding the cable as it is pulling the cord in.

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              ..As for locking, some of them seem directional, like mini blinds. You pull one way to lower, and the other way, unlocks and it will wind...
              Thanks for the tip, have not thought about that. Will have to check that out. Have not thought about that, but well worth the minute or two to find out.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

I have one for an airhose and love it.
                John Hunter

Comment

• RAV2
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Massachusetts

I have several of the air hoses and two electric reels.

The electric ones are from sears with lights:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03473942000P

I buy them when they are on sale for $9.99.

I have the Sears air hose - in my shed:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916349000P

This is light duty and OK for the small space. Look for the sale price of $39.

A couple of years ago, I bought the large Harbor Freight unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5230

This is also good for the homeowner and I use it in my garage and it holds 50' of line. Note that it can be removed and carried to a job - a plus. It can also be used for water if you wish.

Finally after many years of looking at the electric reel that rolls up into the net bag, I purchased this from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34074

It works excellent in the summer. In the winter, those "all weather" extension cords are stiff and require some additional effort. It easily holds 100' of cord. When used in the rain, it slips a bit but after you get the hang of it - it is the preferred choice.

With all of my retractable reel items, I put a wrap of electric tape on the cord/line at the point just prior to the end of the extension to alert me when I am coming to the end. This avoids the problems if you pull them too hard at the end of the lines.

All of these are sub-standard to the professional models BUT all of mine combined cost less than the best pro unit and serve me well if I use care when retracting and returning them.

Comment

• Woodshark
                    Established Member
                    • May 2006
                    • Atlanta

I
                    but this one seems better :

(also at lee valley for $22).

Anybody use either?

edit : on closer look, the 'Cord Winder' is a manual-crank operated; but i still don't discount it...

I have the manual ones above. They are called "Wonder-Winders" and I love them. Mounted in the garage, I'm using them outside for my leaf blower and to run power down to our dock at the lake. They will hold a lot of cord.
                    sigpic

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

I know the threads aren't that old, but these are two good reminders for the electrical reels:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27679

and

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=25105
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Many years ago I had a retractable air unit I bought through one of my industrial suppliers. It would pull out and lock just fine. But the retracting mechanism would do its thing if I was at the end of the line (where it locked, at any length), and just pull a little too hard, and the line would jerk back. With the weight of the hose, it was difficult to always sense the slack.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I have no idea who the MFG was, but the many years ago when I worked FT as a mechanic, we always had retractible air hose reels from the ceiling between each garage bay about in the middle. They were usually loaded with 50ft hoses, and you could really feel when you were getting close to the end.

I have not used retractibles for the home workshop, but always wanted to get a couple of them for the home garage...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                            i have the 2nd hose real that pecker shows in his post from hf. i have about 150' of air hose and its perfect. i am actually with this purchase from hf.
                            I have the same one, but I only have 50' of hose on it. No problem at all to put more on if needed. It's a manual roll up, but I like it a lot.

Ed
                            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• sacherjj
                              Not Your Average Joe
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I also use the Wonder Winder in the garage. It holds 100' (I believe) of cord for my little electric snow blower. The only problems I have is retracting with the cord really wet.

I also have a 12 gauge spring retractor. I've found that most 12 gauge retractors are a little too annoying in getting it all the way rewound. I fixed this by removing about 8 feet and putting a new end on it. Now there is no issue and it still hits all the places I want in the garage. The 14 gauge winders don't seem to have this issue. I prefer the higher gauge to slightly longer length.
                              Joe Sacher

Comment

• Scottw
                                Forum Newbie
                                • May 2006
                                • Deep East Texas

I have a craftsman retractable air hose reel that I got on a C Club sale awhile back. $30 - $40 normally $70 - $80 I think. Anyways at that time I started reading other who had it and all were complaining about how it wouldn't pull the hose back in and what a piece of junk it was. Well I wasn't happy whit buying a dog, but I mounted it up anyways and sure enough it was a bear to get back on the reel. Fought and fought all the time mad at myself for wasting my money. I left it alone for a time and then had to use it the other day. I pulled it out and the hose just sticks to itself while reeling back in and doesn't have enough room in the case to fit. I pulled it all the way out and took a paper towel with some Johnson's wax on it and slid the hose through the towel. Well the hose now races back on the reel lightning fast and I'm now a happy camper.

Comment

Working...