• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milanuk
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Labeling things...

I noticed Loring had mentioned this in his 'Shop Wiring' thread, and its something I've been giving some thought to lately, so I figured I'd toss this out for comments from the group.

I'm really seriously looking at getting a label maker of some sort for stuff in the shop, ranging from small parts boxes to drawers to hardware bins to electrical outlets and panels. A side benefit would be using it make legible labels for my ammo boxes that I take to the gun range

Anywho... at work we've used the Dymo LabelWriters connected to a PC for printing large numbers of labels for safety tags (basically address labels used for a different purpose) and they work pretty well, but you have to have a PC up and running to use it. Not an insurmountable problem as I have a older used laptop for the shop area, but somewhat inconvenient I suppose.

I've been seeing more and more references to these self-contained label makers like the Brother P-Touch machines. Finally got a chance to play with one here at work that the plant electricians left lay out. Pretty slick, but limited to a 3/4" wide tape strip even though they seem relatively inexpensive ($20-50, depending on features).

I'm kind of curious if anyone else has been using electronic label makers in their shop, and what your experiences and recommendations might be? I'm trying to move a bit past the strip of tape + Sharpie method (my current state) in hopes of having something that is legible to someone besides myself

Looking forward to hearing your response,

Monte
    All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

In March, I purchased the Brother P-Touch 500, the bottom of the line one (I think) and like it better than having to sheet feed whole sheets of labels through a printer.

I certainly like the ability to print one at a time and have used it several times already. I have even been able to print the addresses in Japanese. As to the labels, there are several widths available. I have the narrow one as well as the 1+ inch width labels.

I am not using it in my shop just yet but that is a good idea.
    Last edited by leehljp; 04-07-2008, 07:05 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bigbit
      Established Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Southern California
      • BT3100-1

I bought a Brother PT-1280 on the web for $19 plus shipping. It supports the 1/2" tapes. I am really happy with it. I have labeled all of my parts drawers, my tool chest drawers, and my tool bench drawers, and it is so much easier to find things now while looking very neat.

I keep the P-touch at my computer desk and frequently use it to label the tabs on my manila folders for my personal business filing. Also now very neat and organized.

I was so happy with the unit, I bought a second for my wife, who is a school teacher. To be honest, I just got tired of her stealing my P-Touch!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I have a couple of types, one a Brother and one a Casio. One does wide labels with big lettering, and the other does narrow labels with small letters. I have a few different cartridges, for either opaque or clear labels as needed. Can't really make recommendations as to make or model, as I do not see either of mine on the store shelves. Looks like models get updated (replaced) pretty regularly. But, as long as the cartridges stay available, I'm set.

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I have one that uses the 1/2" tape and used it to label all the drawers on my tool box just to make life easier if I ask the son or wife to grab a tool for me. Mine is self contained, just type in what I want on the keyboard and hit print.
          --
          Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Tequila
            • Aug 2004
            • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I have one of the Brother P-Touches (can't remember which model). What I like about it is that you can labels standalone, or connect it to a PC by USB to print anything, including multiple labels, graphics, etc.
            -Joe

Comment

• milanuk
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Anybody using the hand-held P-Touch units have any problems with it 'wasting' about an inch or so of label tape on the left side? I noticed it was a persistent gripe among reviewers on amazon.com, and found the P-Touch 1880 at work does it too. Seems like it'd be kind of irritating during the first big batch of 'label everything I can find', but less so after that...
              Last edited by milanuk; 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• smorris
                • Apr 2003
                • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Yes, mine does have a fair amount of waste on the left end but I just trim it. Annoying but...
                --
                Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

re: waste on left end, yes, they do, Seems wasteful but i expect its the distance between the cutter located on the left of the unit and the point where the printhead is located. Difficult with the basic mechanism to get them closer together.

I have three of four cassettes (clear, white, a couple of widths, I think, too) and have not used up any of them after several years so i guess its not that wasteful but i don't go overboard on labels either.

What I do about the waste thing is to print several labels at a time, put about 6 spaces between them, and don't cut/feed for cut until the last one is done. Then I cut them apart with scissors, seems to save a few inches of tape... On the other hand, not having the exra inch or two of tape makes it hard to put it thru the separator tool to peel off the backing.

lessee... 26 feet, for $10, about 3" per typical label, about 100 labels or about 10 cents each. If you saved an inch of tape per label that would be about 2-3 cents.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Good way to save on waste is do a bunch of labels all at once, without advancing between them. Then, use scissors and cut them out yourself.

Comment

• just started
                      • Mar 2008
                      • suburban Philly

I have one of the original P-touch units (about 30 yrs) and it still works fine, although tapes are getting hard to find so I'm thinking about getting a new one. I like the stand alone units, but being able to hook it to a computer and add graphics is tempting.

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

I love my P-Touch. As you can see.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• milanuk
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Wow... my hero!!!

I used to love those small parts bins... but I got tired of having to go thru what seemed like every stinkin' drawer to find what I needed. Nice clearly marked labels like that might renew the usefullness!

Guess I'm off to the office supply stores to see what the prices run around here... if they're not too bad, I may wind up buying local rather than online.

Thanks,

Monte

Comment

• MilDoc

I've had a P-Touch for more than 10 years so I can speak to their long life!

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

You fellows are an inspiration! I need to get me some 1/2 inch tape labels.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...