• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Anybody mastered the PVC puzzle?

I have been trying to figure out what sizes of PVC pipe and connectors one can use to connect the variety of different dust outputs in the shop. I have everything from 1" on some sanders and smaller tools to 21/2 and soon 4"

Has anybody figured out what standard PVC pipe and fittings will help you connect and convert this miraid of DC outputs?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Short answer - no. It's just too darned confusing!

JR
    JR

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

The best luck I have had is the green sewer and drain pipe stock from Lowes. I have only tried it for 4".
      John
      To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by JR
        Short answer - no. It's just too darned confusing!

JR

I will second that!! I spent about and hour in HD this afternoon trying to matchup an 1 1/4 hose with connectors that could attache to the 1" output from my PC joiner. I got more and more frustrated and ended up leaving.....

There has to be an easier way - hence my posting.
        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

I feel your pain, I have spent many a hour under the sink trying to piece together the dreaded PVC waste pipe. Smaller scale,but just as much FUN.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• reddog552
            Established Member
            • Dec 2006
            • Belleville Il.
            • Bt3000

PVC pipe

Its an old electrican trick. You can use a heat gun to warm up PVC parts that are odd sizes to either shrink or enlarge the pipe
            The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• Long Shadow
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by reddog552
              Its an old electrican trick. You can use a heat gun to warm up PVC parts that are odd sizes to either shrink or enlarge the pipe
              Well, yeah, you can, But if you try to use the $9.99 HF heat gun, it'll probably burn up before the pipe gets hot. DAMHIKT -three or four times.
              But, back to HF. Here's an idea you might try. I have used their long neck funnels URL="http://http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90468&CategoryName=&SubCateg oryName="] (when on sale for a buck) to make various transitions. It takes finding the right place to cut them to the right size and a little "coaxing" with some heat to reshape to the desired size. And yep, I've even used the infamous heat gun!!!
              Good luck in your quest.
              LS

Comment

• Brian G
                • Jun 2003
                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                • G0899

Originally posted by Hoakie
                The best luck I have had is the green sewer and drain pipe stock from Lowes. I have only tried it for 4".
                More specifically, because it's not always green, look for ASTM 3034 sewer and drain. It has a thicker wall than the ASTM 2729. The advantage of the 3034 is that common 4" connectors (elbows, wyes) that are designed for 4" hose fit snugly inside the pipe. You also can find less expensive connectors in the sewer and drain hose section of your favorite home center.

I think, for Shopvac type dust collection, you just can't beat ordering one or two of these http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393 I saw the post in Bargain Alerts, and I was a little surprised that these were still available at this price. I bought a set a year and it works great. Shopvac hose ends fit inside the blast gates, or you can use a Shopvac hose adapter (for example Rockler part number 34654; Peachtree woodworking part number 447).

Perhaps you may find what you need among Peachtree's reducers http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustfittings_reducers.htm
                Brian

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

In a jamb, you could use a flexible rubber connector with screw band clamps on the ends. They are available with equal or unequal ends.

Comment

• Popeye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Woodbine, Ga
                    • Grizzly 1023SL

I've decided that it's fun NOT to be able to figure it out I've made plywood adaptors, I've sanded fitting inside and outside, I've used rubber plumbing ruducers. ..... Actually it has been kind of fun coming up with creative solutions to the many DC hookup issures. Pat
                    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Seems like the perfect application for duct tape.... just get the right color and you are all set to go.

Comment

• hermit
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Somerset, PA, USA.

Since you have a PC joiner, you should have that little elbow that connects to the DC port. I have found that a 1 1/4" vac hose without any attachments (just the hose) will fit snug enough once you "round the bend" on that elbow. Try that. You don't need any adapters.

Todd

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by hermit
                          Since you have a PC joiner, you should have that little elbow that connects to the DC port. I have found that a 1 1/4" vac hose without any attachments (just the hose) will fit snug enough once you "round the bend" on that elbow. Try that. You don't need any adapters.

Todd
                          Todd, you are a genius, it works perfectly!!

Thanks
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• just started
                            • Mar 2008
                            • suburban Philly

Originally posted by Brian G
                            More specifically, because it's not always green, look for ASTM 3034 sewer and drain. It has a thicker wall than the ASTM 2729. The advantage of the 3034 is that common 4" connectors (elbows, wyes) that are designed for 4" hose fit snugly inside the pipe. You also can find less expensive connectors in the sewer and drain hose section of your favorite home center.

I think, for Shopvac type dust collection, you just can't beat ordering one or two of these http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393 I saw the post in Bargain Alerts, and I was a little surprised that these were still available at this price. I bought a set a year and it works great. Shopvac hose ends fit inside the blast gates, or you can use a Shopvac hose adapter (for example Rockler part number 34654; Peachtree woodworking part number 447).

Perhaps you may find what you need among Peachtree's reducers http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustfittings_reducers.htm
                            Thanks for the Shopvac link, I hadn't seen it before. It's perfect for my setup as I'm using an old whole-house vac unit as my 'sucker' and it takes 2 1/2" pipe (about) for the input. My order is in.

Comment

• ironhat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Popeye
                              I've decided that it's fun NOT to be able to figure it out I've made plywood adaptors, I've sanded fitting inside and outside, I've used rubber plumbing ruducers. ..... Actually it has been kind of fun coming up with creative solutions to the many DC hookup issures. Pat
                              You're a sick, sick man! LOL!!
                              Blessings,
                              Chiz

Comment

Working...