• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

%#$&% dust collector died today

I suppose I got my $120 out of it, being about five years old. It just stopped working (figures, after a rough, long week I finally go to cut wood, and it's over).

I think I will get this one to replace it:

But seriously, anyone have an opinion on the Jet DC1100? I've got 5" pipe and could fit anything in the reasonable size ranges.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Carlos
    Holy moley. That beastie will suck you fillings out!

Sorry to hear your current DC bit the bullet. Could you just get a replacement motor?
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Nevermind, it was just the switch. So much for the excuse to upgrade. Ironic, since it's always been on a remote switch and the DC's switch never gets used. It melted and smoked.

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Carlos
        Nevermind, it was just the switch. So much for the excuse to upgrade. Ironic, since it's always been on a remote switch and the DC's switch never gets used. It melted and smoked.
        Lemme guess: the 2HP HF model, yes? Mine didn't melt, but just failed, so I wired it directly into the plug, since it's always plugged into the remote.
        And....! a word of warning about the ShopFox remotes: do NOT drop the receiver! The transformer inside will pull itself out of the pins from the pc board.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

My HF hs been making bearing noises for a couple of years. The dang thing is behind a couple hundred board feet and in a corner, flanked by commercial, metal shelving which is bolted to the wall. It makes changing the bearing a matter of waiting for failure. I'm glad that yours worked out.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Yeah, the 2HP model. The switch had some burn marks and signs of melting. When it shut off during a pass on the drum sander and made a bad smell I figured the motor was done for. Then I figured if I wasn't going to get any woodworking done, I might as well start dismantling the DC for scrap, took out the switch, and it was obvious what happened.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Exactly the same thing happened to me with exactly the same setup. I hardwired past the switch and never looked back.

JR
              JR

Comment

Working...