X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bearwood
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007

eclipse jig

does anyone out there have plans for an eclipse cutting jig? or, do you know where I can get them? Cost of buying commercial one is high.
    thanks lenny
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I assume you mean an ellipse jig... Rockler has a ready made jig available here. Or, if you want plans to build your own multi-purpose jig, here's what you can get at Woodcraft.

Comment

• MilDoc

The jig Uncle Cracker mentioned is a bit cheaper directly from WOOD magazine:

http://woodstore.net/plunroutjig.html

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'm not seeing the potential for cutting an ellipse with that jig, Paul. Outside of it being a guide for straight cuts I'm not getting it. I admit that I'm not experienced at using a router outside of table top and fence so I may just be ignorant. Can you provide any additional info.

TIA!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by bearwood
          does anyone out there have plans for an eclipse cutting jig? or, do you know where I can get them? Cost of buying commercial one is high.
          thanks lenny
          Not exactly measured drawings but this is a very basic jig that can also get
          you started.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._Ellipses.html

Paul

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by ironhat
            I'm not seeing the potential for cutting an ellipse with that jig, Paul. Outside of it being a guide for straight cuts I'm not getting it. I admit that I'm not experienced at using a router outside of table top and fence so I may just be ignorant. Can you provide any additional info.

TIA!
            Plans include a small accessory attachment to turn it into a circle, arc, ellipse jig.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's the instructions for Rockler's $80 jig.
              Seems like you can make one for very cheap.
              The slots don't need to be dovetailed I would guess, that keeps them from rising out of the slots. You could do a lot of experimenting for $80. Even the router base part need not be slotted (and have those sliding/locking pivots) if you are making a jig for a specific size, just put specific holes where you want the pivot points, you can always add more hole locations or even a slot later.

http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000285AA.pdf
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

When I first saw that pdf from rockler, I thought they missed some instructions - it does not say how exactly it works, and it me some quality time to figure it out . (my epiphany was that both the dovetail keys move, along the dovetailed 'x' and 'y' axes of the base).

I wonder how well it actually works - is the movement smooth, or does it bind?

as Loring says, the jig should be easy to make. found more details on it (from this thread of yesterday Tons O' Tips!!) here : The Infinite Oval
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

Working...