• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Another DIY Small Parts clamp...

I got the design from: http://www.woodworkingonline.com/200...l-parts-clamp/

I used some offcuts of 3/4" Marine ply and (of course) some 3/4" MDF. It gives me 8-1/4" between the threaded rods and 6-1/2" between the maple clamps.

I also want to mention a VERY useful tool - the Veritas Saddle square. I've had it about 3 months and I'm finding I'm using it more and more.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,50298

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Rod,

Looks nice, as always. I almost don't like to look at the Lee Valley catalog. They have too many nice tools. I buy a few a year - have to pace myself.

Jim

Comment

• MilDoc

Nice work as usual Rod.

Love my saddle square too!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, Rod, is there any reason the front clamp bar needs to be movable as opposed to permanently being fastened to the base? Seems like turning the knobs would preclude moving it towards the center any.

Also strikes me that having the rods turn and driving the back clamp bar would be better than fixing the rod in the back clamp bar (epoxies to the T-nut is suggested in the instruction), more like a vise in operation and won't have the threaded rods sticking way out in front when a small object is clamped.

As for the saddle square, I have a couple of scrap pieces of 1x4 butt jointed together to do that function altho the veritas sure looks nice.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          OK, Rod, is there any reason the front clamp bar needs to be movable as opposed to permanently being fastened to the base? Seems like turning the knobs would preclude moving it towards the center any.

Also strikes me that having the rods turn and driving the back clamp bar would be better than fixing the rod in the back clamp bar (epoxies to the T-nut is suggested in the instruction), more like a vise in operation and won't have the threaded rods sticking way out in front when a small object is clamped.

As for the saddle square, I have a couple of scrap pieces of 1x4 butt jointed together to do that function altho the veritas sure looks nice.
          You're quite right of course

In my defence - I "finished" this, took the pics, and thought "this doesn't feel right - I need to think about this..." Then had to rush out. Which is also why I used dome lock nuts (removable).

You saved me the trouble of thinking it thru!
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

Working...