• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Wheels for benches and tools

I'd like to be able to move the workbench and miter saw station as needed, but have them be solid-footed when not being moved. I think this means they need to be on rubber feet when not being moved, similar to many of the mobile bases. Anyone know of a source for the raisable wheels similar to those used on mobile bases? Regular wheels with locks simply aren't very stable.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Rockler item no. 23650 is what you describe, I think; $16 each.

+1 on the problem with regular casters. The double-lockers are reasonably stable, but still have just enough wiggle room in the works to drive me batst*ff.
    Larry

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

you know, i think that you can take care of that movement by using all four casters as two way locking.

when i get home tonight, i am going to lock all four wheels and see if it budges.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Part of the movement problem I have is that the concrete is not perfectly level, so I have to try hard to find a place where all four wheels are flat.

Rockler item no. 23650 is what you describe, I think; $16 each.
        Unless I'm reading it wrong, the $16 item is just a wheel without a mechanism to raise it.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Click "More Images" and then the bottom-most thumbnail. Pretty sure that's what you'd be buying: caster, lift mechanism, and two pins to attach it.

Omar: if you lock all four and it doesn't wiggle, I want to know the make, model, and source of your casters.
          Larry

Comment

• jonmulzer
            • Dec 2007
            • Indianapolis, IN

Could you use a setup like Norm's assembly table? He has it set up so that normal casters drop down into place when he picks up the end of his assembly table a couple of inches and then when he pulls a trip cord the casters pop-up and then it rests on all four legs. If that sounds like it would work, let me know and I will try to find a page that shows the mechanism.
            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Good catch Larry, that does look like exactly what I need. Price is impressive, since a good wheel alone is pretty expensive.

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

H0684 4" Gray Rubber Swivel Caster w/ Double Brake $7.50 ea.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Gr...le-Brake/H0684
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have lots of those. Hate them. That's why I want the fold-up wheels.

Comment

• dlminehart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Rockler's solution looks like a stumble waiting to happen, sticking out as far as it does. I suppose you could put the levered wheel in the back . . . but that's really awkward. Or does the lever assembly detach/attach easily? Now that I think of it, it seems that one could use a long handled lever with an L shape, with wheel on the outer corner of the L, and a place on the base for the tip of the L to slip into. Pulling the L toward you would tip the wheel down and lift the edge of the mobile base up. I've seen pictures of something like this, but not a homemade variety. Doesn't really seem that difficult. Niki?
                    Last edited by dlminehart; 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM. Reason: afterthought
                    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...