• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Electrical project sanity check

I have a few tools that could use 230v power. In particular, the Jet 18" bandsaw and plasma cutter really need it to achieve full power. I have a dryer outlet that's unused (plumbed it for gas instead). I am planning to make an extension cord to run along one end of the shop space with three outlets (saw, plasma cutter, jointer). I have 35' of 10/3 SJEOOW cord, three L6-20 twist-lock jacks, electrical boxes, and cable clamps for the boxes. The boxes will be arranged so the cord is in a T configuration--input from the left, boxes in the center, bottom, and right of the T. I will change the cords on all the tools to 12/3 and an L6-20P connector. The tools use no more than 12 amps @ 230v, and will be used one at a time. The dryer outlet is 30a.

Am I missing something, or doing anything stupid?
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I don't see anything wrong with that plan. I have essentially the same arrangement for my table saw, jointer, and band saw, except that it's hard-wired with 10ga Romex back to a breaker in the panel. Otherwise, the loads are about the same as you'll have, and only one tool runs at a time.

I ran this past our electrical engineering consultant before putting it in, and he blessed it without reservations.
    Larry

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

I agree I think you will be fine with that. I see no problem at all. It looks like you could run two machines at the same time and not have to worry about it.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...