• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Air cleaner advice needeed

Can anyone tell me from your own experience how well an air cleaner actually works? I am thinking about the Jet 1000B for my garage/shop. In warm weather * I have the garage door open but when it's cold I have it closed with the electric heat on. I currently have a Jet 650 DC with the canister that I hook to whatever machine I'm using at the time and it does a fairly good job.

Thanks in advance for your responses
    Chas

* Yes we do have warm weather in MN but it's sub zero right now with 40 mph winds and snow)
  • Tom Clark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007
    • Deming, NM
    • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

they do work!

Chas,

It used to be that when I was routing and sanding projects the shop was filled with a cloud of fine dust floating in the air. I built my own dc after reading an article in Wood Magazine 15 or more years ago. It uses a 1/4hp motor turning a squirrel cage from a furnace. As I remember it provided about 1500 cfm, but I'm sure that is before forcing the air thru the filter. The filter is 16x20x4" thick. I'm still using the same filter, even though I have a back up. I take it outside and blow it out every six months or so and reinstall it. You won't believe how much dust comes out of it when it is cleaned.

I turn it on anytime I am cutting, sanding, routing - any of the machines that are not directly hooked up to the dc that is ducted to the machines. It keeps the shop air much cleaner, runs very quietly, and as you can see, it serves double duty as a workbench extension and toolbox.

Sorry I can't comment on the ceiling hung ones. They came along long after I had built my home-made unit.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 01-30-2008, 07:56 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Great idea building your AC into a cabinet, Tom. Saves some precious space.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

My ceiling hung Delta will clear the air in my 20x30 shop very quickly. Remember, though, these things work on dust and to a lesser degree, smoke, but don't help with gaseous vapors or fumes.

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

There's already a thread about the AFS1000B and a few comments in the review section.

Comment

• HarmsWay
            • Nov 2003
            • Victoria, BC
            • BT3000

I have a ceiling hung filter and it doesn't get used that much. It's good if you're sanding or something that puts a lot of dust into the air, but I always put a dust collector on my sander so that's usually not an issue. It was also good when I was cutting a lot of plywood or MDF on the table saw, but after I got one of Lee's Sharks that wasn't an issue either. So now I turn on the ceiling filter while I'm sweeping the floor.

One way to assess how useful it will be is to take a look at the horizontal surfaces in your shop. If they all have a fine layer of saw dust then a room filter probably would have helped. If instead you get chunkier would shavings collecting only around where you're working then a room filter won't necessarily help you.

I should probably mention that I wear a cannister filter mask when I'm generating dust, which is better for my health but wouldn't do much to keep the shop clean.

Bob

Comment

• garymuto
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Encinitas, CA
              • Delta Cabinet Saw

I have the DC-650 with thecanister and I bought the AFS 1000B. I bought them in anticipation of a Performax 22-44" drumsander but I use them both regularly and the AFS 100B is used almost all of the time. It makes my basement shop much more comfortable. Based on the dust in the prefilter, it's capturing a lot of airborne dust

Comment

• charliex
                • Mar 2004
                • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Thanks everyone. Based on your responses I ordered the jet yesterday and they said that it will be shipped Feb 4. I got an e-mail this morning saying that it shipped yesterday and should be here tomorrow. Must have been a slow day at Jet. Now I have to get busy and run some power to it's intended location.
                Thanks again
                Chas

Comment

Working...