X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Larry, thanks for all that info. I had to re-read a couple of times for it all to sink in.

I am about to redo my workbench, and I could possibly go ahead and make provisions for columns on the walls to help support the LVL. However, I will have to do a little checking with engineers, etc. as well as the lumber yards. It just may not be financially feasible for me at this time.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

Correction: I mistakenly stated that I spanned my 24' long shop with 2 - 14" glue lams with an engineer's specs.

The engineer specs were for 2 - 14" LVL's 24' x 1 3/4" long each ($300 total), nailed or screwed together, & 6" ceiling joists with joist hangers to span the 20' width, roughly 10' long on each side. This spec was for a light attic storage with all the common loads figured in. The double LVL beam rests on top of a 2x4 stud wall on each end. Weight takes 2-3 men to lift when assembled. We rented a crank lift to raise it into place $40 for the weekend.

Taking the existing beam out & replacing it with another, steel or wood, is not impossible, but it requires an engineers advise, alot of temp. support & some a couple of good friends to help. I would actually do it this way if it was my shop. You end up with a clear span & the same headroom as now.
      Last edited by iceman61; 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Call your local lumber suppliers for pricing. Prices vary so much... Your signature is one of my favorite "Cheers" quotes.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

Working...