What is the ideal spacing for the support arms on a lumber rack?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

What is the ideal spacing for the support arms on a lumber rack?

I recently picked up the triton woodrack and the instructions suggest that the two support uprights be spaced between 4 - 6 feet apart. For some reason this didn't sit too well with me so I ended up picking up another pair of uprights. The space I'm planning to install it is 6 feet wide since most boards I will store will be a max of 6 feet. I figure with 4 uprights evenly spaced at 16 inches should provide better support and minimize any sagging. The only draw back I see is that I would need to spend a little more time during the install to make sure all the support arms are perfectly level and bear the same amount of weight. This wouldn't be an issue if only two are used. Would 4 uprights be overkill and not worth the effort? 2 just doesn't seem like it would be enough. Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!
  • LJR
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005

Support members for a lumber rack should be about two feet apart with a maximum of three feet between supports. That's taken from the instructions of a "triton" competitor. Seems reasonable to me. That also sounds to me like they would leave about a foot of the board hanging past the last support, thus you could support your six foot long boards with three vertical supports.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I built my lumber rack with regular 'storage brackets' from HD because I calculated that I'd rather have more number of arms and closer, and all that added up in $ with Triton.

As it stands, I have five sets of arms spanning 6 feet across the wall, so the space between them is around 18 inches. So allowing a foot of overhang at either ends, I have 8 ft long 2x4 too on that rack. Frankly, I am glad about the lesser gap - i don't have to worry about the sag.

If you have three sets, you could put them at a distance of 20 or so inches, but 6 ft long boards might not be easy. I'd say 4 sets are better in the long run, and this is one thing you don't want to re-do.

As for alignment while installing : I took the easy way out : Installed the outermost brackets first, then put the straightest 2x4 I had on it's edge on those brackets, and used it as a reference point to put up the rest of the brackets in between.

Of course, if you have a laser-level, might make it easier.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
        • Delta Contractor Saw

I went to mostly vertical wood storage but I still have the Triton racks on one wall with about 300BF spaced 24 inches apart. I was more concerned about sag than I was with their ability to hold the lumber.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I have 6 supports spaced 2 feet apart. Works well for me...

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I wouldn't exceed 24" OC, but the spacing will also be governed by the wall to which you're attaching the racks. If the wall is masonry, the racks can go anywhere. But if the wall is gypsum board on wood studs at 16" OC, then you'll need to put the rack standards at 16" OC so they'll be screwed into the studs.
            Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm thinking that my next rack will have four supports, for 6-8 ft lumber and long goods. Thus, the outer ones need to be a touch under 6 ft allowing ~1 inch overhang for 6' goods and 1 ft overhang for 8' goods.
              Then that will make the three spans just under 24 inches.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have a 8' wide rack I often store 14' foot stock on which means 3' over-hang. There is no problem IMO. But.. I have my vertical supports spaced about 16" apart. I would not exceed 24".

I will somtime have 300-400 linear feet on the rack is the reason I space 16". With that volume of oak, etc., you are talking major weight. If I stored under 200 linear, I might have opted for 24" spacing.

I think your common sense over-rode the manufacturers claim of what is sufficient. The manufacturer doesn't have to retrieve the heavy 10/4 piece that is always on the bottom of a shelf stack. That requires a major battle in some cases which can create some torque on those supports "THEY" said were sufficient. SUFFICIENT means what THEY have to do as required to meet liability issues in case YOU have a little accident and London Bridge comes tumbling down.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

I think it is reasonable to have 24" as a maximum span between centers, however you do need to keep in mind the wall structure and also you want your shortest board to go over at least two supports. So if you have 2' spacing and a three foot board it is better to have 6" overhang rather than only centered above one support. JMHO
                  Last edited by Black wallnut; 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• MilDoc

Interesting. I have the Triton supports, spaced 48" apart, and have some lumber on them stored for 3 years. No sag noticed. Boards are as straight as when I bought them. I just used two boards and had no problems. The lumber was dry when put up. Maybe that makes a difference?

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

If you are mounting to a block wall, the verticals can be placed just about anywhere to accommodate your spacing. If it is a stud wall you might be limited by the 16" O/C. In that case you could run horizontal 2x4's to set up your vertical spacing.

Comment

Working...