• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Shop being built

This actually happened summer before last, but I've been lazy and am just now getting around to posting some pics.

First is the pad where the former garage was. Next the Tuff Shed guys show up, and start putting the pieces together. I'm glad I didn't try to do it myself--it was 102° that day!

It took three guys two days to finish the shop. Now I need to get electricity out to it...

Oh, the last pic shows the roof before the shingles.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

g.

I know You are tickled pink to get You shed. It looks good. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• xli1
      Established Member
      • May 2006
      • Big Boston Area
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Could you tell us what is the cost of building this shop? Thanks!
      http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by xli1
        Could you tell us what is the cost of building this shop? Thanks!
        Sure. It was roughly $10000. The foundation was there, so I saved money on pouring concrete. My town's building inspector is a real stickler--I had to dig down in two places and prove the foundation went at least 36" into the ground. Also, I had to bolt the shop to the concrete foundation before he would pass it.

As you can tell, the floor is raised above the old garage pad and rests on the stub wall all the way around. That way I have a crawl space for DC piping and electricity. And a place to stash the bodies.

I'll be paying for this for the rest of my life--long after the building is paid for.

g.
        Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

How big is it?

Crawl space for DC and under floor electric is AWESOME.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

If you don't have stuff in there already I'd consider making sections of the floor removeable. That way you don't have to go into the crawl space - you can lift up floor sections and fish hoses, wiring, etc under the floor studs.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by crokett
              If you don't have stuff in there already I'd consider making sections of the floor removeable. That way you don't have to go into the crawl space - you can lift up floor sections and fish hoses, wiring, etc under the floor studs.
              That's a good thought! Since almost everything moves around, it would be pretty simple to move stuff, cut out a section, move stuff back, etc.

OTOH, since the crawl space has a concrete floor, I get around pretty good under there with a mechanic's creeper.

g.
              Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• ssmith1627
                • Dec 2005
                • Corryton, TN, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

That's really great. Thanks for sharing the pictures -- enjoyed seeing it come together like that.

What size is it ? I see all these ads in the backs of magazines for these steel buildings. Obviously that doesn't include the foundation either but they have some attractive options out there. For a future life -- I don't have a place yet that I plan to live long enough to build that sort of thing.

Steve

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                  That's really great. Thanks for sharing the pictures -- enjoyed seeing it come together like that.

What size is it ? I see all these ads in the backs of magazines for these steel buildings. Obviously that doesn't include the foundation either but they have some attractive options out there. For a future life -- I don't have a place yet that I plan to live long enough to build that sort of thing.

Steve
                  The shop is 18x24. I looked into Steel Shed as well, but once they got the measurement of my site, they never called me back. I guess it was too small.

g.
                  Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• ssmith1627
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Corryton, TN, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

That's frustrating but I know the feeling. I wanted a concrete patio poured and you can't get people to return your call. One guy did and said he'd come out to look at it but never did. I assumed my project was too small too.

Steve

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Contractors can be weird about things. They won't tell you no, they just ignore you and hope you go away.

I like framing too much to contract anything out. 3 years ago we cut into a first floor roof, framed it up to the 2nd floor in order to relocate the stairwell on a friends house... we started 2 days before Christmas and finished up around 11pm Christmas eve.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Very nice, very nice. I love the crawl space. That has been item #1 on my dream shop list for awhile now. That list has been in my head so long, that is the only item that hasn't changed. It just makes sense to have everything run through the floor and to have a comfortable wood floor instead of concrete.

Questions...what are you using for heat? Did you insulate under the floor? Is the cold air under the floor an issue? I need to know these things for my list .
                        Joe

Comment

• 4estgump
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
                          • Ryobi BT3000

That's a DYN-O-MITE shop. There will be many remembered times in there. Great.
                          4est

Comment

Working...