• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I Had to Bury My BT Today

Winter is here, and as I was scraping my car of this morning, I came to the horrid revalation that it was time to make room for my car in my garage. Yes, I am one of the few here who actually parks his car in his shop.

I think my BT ended up under my son's bike, and my MS is under a Dora scooter. Hopefully Sunday I will be able to brave the elements to re-arrange some stuff and hang some bikes on hooks to make room for my tools. I need to, I have a project to work on for my mom.

Sorry for sharing my depressing news, but I knew you all would understand--unless you're one of those #$%#?*&'s from Florida or Texas .
    Joe
  • Red88chevy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Midland, Texas.

Maybe Florida is nice and warm, but Texas hasn't been near as warm as it should be. On Thanksgiving I drove 6 hrs through the snow to get to my in laws, and on Sunday I drove back through another snow storm to get home. Thanksgiving would have been a lot better if my car had been sitting nice and warm in the garage the whole time.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by JoeyGee
      Sorry for sharing my depressing news, but I knew you all would understand--unless you're one of those #$%#?*&'s from Florida or Texas .

Hey...Florida has its drawbacks. We have hurricanes, insects indigenous to the Congo, and high humidity. Right now it's about 74 degrees slight breeze, sunny, and hot babes walking around in thongs. I'm having a hard time gettin' any work done.

Comment

• jhart
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

C man, my heart goes out for you, as I sit here and watch the babes go by in long underware and fur coats. Turned pretty brisk in Mpls this week with low temps in the 5-10 degree range. However, no snow yet. Does my heart good to see it in a bunch of states South of here.
        Joe
        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• IBBugsy
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Allentown, PA.
          • BT3100

I park my car in my shop also but having the Hercules lift allows me to move my BT around as needed. When it's time to do some wood cutting, the car goes out in the driveway (but it's always back for the night). Still a pain but livable.
          Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
          "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• ejs1097
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

My BT is in the garage, which is not the shop. My shop is too small to put the BT in so it has to sit lonely in the garage with nothing more then a thin sheet to keep it warm during these cold Pittsburgh winters.

After spending 5 minutes clearing off the sidewalk chalk, spare stroller parts, and some gardening tools i was able to pull the sheet off today to finally get her gears spinning again.

Taking off the sheet and seeing my long lost love again was like unveiling a '69 corvette. Well not exactly, but I was smiling like the Butcher's Dog to make some sawdust again.
            Eric
            Be Kind Online

Comment

• rja
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
              • BT3100-1

My car and my van sit outside all year. Garage space is simply too valuable to store cars. The vehicles have a coat of paint on them. What more do they need???

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Y'all don't understand our pain - we too suffer. Just waiting for the hurricanes this year - in vain - is painful ;

then the beach gets a bit cold too; last weekend i had guests from Boston, took them to South Beach and he complained that he could not count more than a dozen thongs ; I tell ya, i was crushed

and most painfully - we need to hear mournful dirges from y'all about how much you suffer...
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I can't park in my shop, it is in the basement (another option for you). I can't park in my garage, as my truck is longer then my garage (built for a model A or model T.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Ha! Basement. You're funny. Let's see...my basement is half finished, and the other half contains toys, a washer and dryer, results of LOML's year-long clearance shopping binges, more toys, last year's garage sale stuff that we just CAN'T throw out (HER opinion, not mine), yet more toys and a vacuum cleaner.

My last shop had a house above it, and it was ideal. I wish I had it back.
                    Joe

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'll be in the same boat this weekend. Squirrels have packed the engine compartment of the Intrepid full of walnuts and chewed the engine wiring harness twice in the last 45 days.

LOML had this crazy idea about putting the cars IN the garage. I guess I'm willing to try anything once.
                      Chr's

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

In our first 3 houses my shop was in the garage. I got stuff done but it is not obviously ideal. That was in Kansas City, Omaha, and Pittsburgh. Only in Omaha was the garage really small where I had problems with the tools and cars cohabitating. In Pittsburgh I could even do small things without backing them out - the garage was the 28 foot width of the house (in the basement).

We built our current house to have two garages. One for vehicles, yard tools etc. One for tools. It is about 400 square feet which is too small but I make it work. It has it's own driveway and garage door (single car). The extra driveway was nice when the kids were still here with their cars. The extra garage is in the basement along with about 800 square feet of finished space - occupied only by our cat.

The weather here isn't Florida but I drive my daughters car sometimes and have not had to scrape it yet. Really cold for us would be a high in the 40s and a low in the twenties. Doesn't happen much. Average winter day is a high in the 50s to low 60s and a low in the thirties somewhere. You never need a real winter coat - our builder didn't even want to put in a coat closet but we made him give us a small one which is sufficient for the jackets you do need sometimes. I miss snow for a few minutes occasionally but winter is the good time of year here - August is another story.

Jim

Comment

Working...