• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Boeshield staining?

Anybody here use Boeshield to protect their cast iron tools from rust? I've read that it stains or discolors them. Is this a subtle or significantly obvious effect? Is it reversible? Is there a rust protectant that doesn't do this? I've read about something called something like XCorrosion that is supposed to do a better job without discoloration. Anyone familiar with it?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I don't find the discoloring to be anything more then a deeper grey iron color. it doesn't stain as if the table turns into 5 different shades of red. it isn't really noticeable once the entire surface is covered.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

I personally could care less about any staining, however I like Bostik Topcoat better than Boeshield T-9. Easier to apply, lasts longer, works better in cold weather (had problem with T-9 drying).

Comment

• p8ntblr
        • Jan 2007
        • So Cal
        • Craftsman 22114

Not from T-9 but the Rust Free discolors pretty significantly. It's an acid and etches CI. I had to use a ROS and WD-40 to take it off. You don' really need to as it doesn't really affect the performance, but I'm just anal about that short of thing.

I personally still get rust using T-9 and wax and have to redo the process 2-3 times a year. But then I leave near the coast, so I'm guessing the air corrodes it faster.
        -Paul

Comment

• p8ntblr
          • Jan 2007
          • So Cal
          • Craftsman 22114

I've heard good things about a product called TC-11. Anyone use this?
          -Paul

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            I personally could care less about any staining, however I like Bostik Topcoat better than Boeshield T-9. Easier to apply, lasts longer, works better in cold weather (had problem with T-9 drying).
            Where did you manage to find the Bostik Topcoat, Jeff? Please don't say Woodcraft in Harrisburg.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ironhat
              Where did you manage to find the Bostik Topcoat, Jeff? Please don't say Woodcraft in Harrisburg.
              Little more north . . . Grizzly in Muncy.

Comment

Working...