• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Leaky DC

I have a Jet 650 (older model) with a Wynn Filter above and a clear plastic bag below. The canister filter is 18" dia, and it sits on a 14" dia column of the DC.

This page by David T. on Wynn's site is somewhat helpful, even if for a different DC.

Since the can on my DC is narrower than the filter, I had to move the black weather-stripping closer to the center. I actually moved it so it'd line the inner circle of contact (instead of external as that page shows).

Also, David T. has used the turn-buckles which proved too short for me, so I used 3 springs from HD. Not too strong, but enough to hold the filter to the can. (These springs are too long to use with the turn-buckles).

So essentially, I am finding that the DC leaks fine dust at the point of contact of the filter with the DC can. (collects on top of the bag fringes right below the filter), and need to fix that. How do I do that? Do I need to give some sort of a rubber lining below the filter? Or do I add another stripping on the outside too?

Maybe the holding power of the springs needs to be more? How rigidly should the filter sit on the DC to be effectively sealed?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you either need a more compliant (softer) seal or a more sealing force (stronger springs) or both. More likely don't use springs at all, get threaded rods to increase the length or range of your turnbuckles so you can seal with more force.

Even then you may need more compliant seals.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...