• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Controversial Shop question...

The last time I described my Table Saw on/off switch (about 7 years ago on the Ryobi forum), I was memorably flamed -some of the nicer adjectives were "idiot", "lunatic", stupid". I suspect Sam will remember the flame war and the person who led it (SAM?).

I've been around here long enough, and matured enough I think, to withstand any negative comments now. OK...

I use a remote controllled switch on my table saw - similar to those described in a current thread. I offer the following:
    • I prefer to have the switch whithin my reach, as I finish a cut. Typically that means I have both arms and half my body stretched across the table.
    • When not "in action" the switch is on a velcro patch above my bench (see pic). I'm surprised no one asked about it during my Shed tour.
    • I always work alone - always. NO visitor is permitted to operate any of my power tools!
    I DO NOT recommend this setup to anyone. I describe it only to indicate one of my working methods. Safely, I would add, for the last 11 years.

I invite comments...

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 04:20 PM.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by RodKirby
    I invite comments...
    I see nothing wrong with it. I use a Clapper.

Clap-on
    Clap-off
    Clap-on, clap-off,
    The CLAPPER!
    Last edited by cgallery; 07-22-2007, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• Habe
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

Rod
      I see nothing wrong with your method. It has one of the keys to shop safety. That is you do it in a consistent method that is used each time so that it becomes second nature. When I switched from the BT to the zip code saw there was a short relearning time to adjust to the new location of the on off switch. It is now second nature to hit the switch at the end of the cut with out having to think where it is.
      Habe

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Especially if it's within easy reach of your (right?) hand, I think it's a great idea. On both my BT and my new Jet, I know where the switch is but sometimes that location is not so convenient.

The only potential safety problem arises if the remote fails to work, but that's a risk with any piece of equipment and I don't see how a remote safety switch has any practical net negative effect.

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I wouldn't do what you're doing, but I'm glad it's worked safely for you. My only suggestion is that you should unplug it or cut power at the switch when you're changing blades. One of the problems with the x10 and similar systems is that if your neighbor has one set to the same channel as you, their remote could turn on your equipment. It's extremely unlikely that anything like that would happen, but it could.
          -Joe

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Tequila, It depends if the remote is RF or IR.

I still use the "knee switch"

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

The only problem I foresee is fumbling with a floating (not bolted down) remote and tiny buttons in an emergency.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good day Rod...

Your shop.. your safety.. your call! Anything would have to be an improvement over the switch mounted bottom right on my BT 3000.

I was going to re-wire left and under the rail at knee poistion as my Uni-saw, but have just never gotten to it. Low left at knee position is what I prefer as my shop.. my safety and my call!

We all have our preferences based on what works for us...

Regards...

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

The buttons may be a bit small in an emergency, but if it works well for you... that's really all that matters!

My principle saw for the last three decades has been a Craftsman RAS, and as many have noted, doing a rip is a point of controversy. The only concern that I've had with it, is that it takes one well away from the power switch. While it's perfectly located for a right-hand user on cross-cuts, you're nowhere near that position on feeding a rip.

For such operations I configured a cord switch which I hold in my hand.

So, whatever works!

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

shop question

Rod, I have also relocated the switch on my BT3100 to a better, safer location ....also easier for me! I did mine soon after buying the saw, did not like having to reach down underneath to turn it off because I felt it was
                    the wrong place to have to hunt for the switch in an emergency shut down
                    situation. I mounted mine underneath the new rails that I bought (Delta T-2)
                    and it hangs where I can bump it quite easily with my hand or leg if needed.
                    I also eliminated the receptacle for the router table attachment....didn't need
                    it anyway, I used a separate router table anyway. eezlock

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Phew! I don't know why I worried. Your responses are great - thank you

Some clarification: The OEM on-off switch is still connected normally. When I work on the saw (blade changing, cleaning - the inside etc.), I switch it off. The rest of the time it's on. That is: the remote controls power to the saw table switch (and the Shopvac).

Comment

• gwyneth
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Bayfield Co., WI

Rod, my mind just can't wrap itself around the idea of anybody anywhere calling any aspect of your shop idiotic.

Of course, in general, I can't see why a woodworker would make a sweeping derogatory comment about anybody else's shop safety issue unless it was inarguably unsafe.

But if something was in your shop, almost by definition it couldn't be 'inarguably unsafe'.

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by gwyneth
                          Rod, my mind just can't wrap itself around the idea of anybody anywhere calling any aspect of your shop idiotic.

Of course, in general, I can't see why a woodworker would make a sweeping derogatory comment about anybody else's shop safety issue unless it was inarguably unsafe.

But if something was in your shop, almost by definition it couldn't be 'inarguably unsafe'.
                          Thank you for the very kind words, Gwyneth.

At the time of the original flame, I guess whatever reputation I might have established since then, didn't exist. As I recall, the guy that started the flame (in 2007 he would be calssed as a Troll), made sure every WW forum on the planet got involved. I even had e-mails from "friends" alerting me to the posts! It was an uncomfortable time.

Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy BT3Central and it's group of great people

Comment

• Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

With the OEM switch still functional I think it's a great idea. just as long as you can't accidentally bump the "on" button.

a bit off topic.
                            The OEM location for the switch on the BT3 series saws is on the wrong side, it needs to be on the left corner, not the right.
                            I have setup saws with a mag starter and 2 switches before. one switch on the table edge on the right side and another on the table edge on the left with the buttons facing the left. that way you can reach the off button even if you are way off the the left side of the saw.
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

No issues with your method Rod. Be it right, or be it wrong, as long as you're not forcing others to use it why should they care?

I use a remote as an added safety feature to defeat curious young fingers. My TS outlet is powered thru a remote. The same remote powers the DC, so it can't be activated if the DC is not on, which is a pretty good reminder whether or not the outlet is powered up. Between the remote and dropping the blade after each use, I feel that it's fairly kid proof....I also have a lock for the on/switch that I haven't felt the need to put into use yet.
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...