X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davebil
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004

Shop Lighting

Hoping to get some wiring this week in the new garage/shop. I have obtained 9 eight foot light fixtures of which 2 are the 4 bulb variety. I had "planned" to use the four bulb fixtures over the center of the work area with the remaining fixtures along the back walls and up the sides. Is that the best way to optimize the lighting? I can obtain more lighting if needed. I'm not sure which way to go here. I will benches and other items scattered along the walls.

My ceiling height is just over 8 feet high with a general work area of 23 feet wide by 20 feet deep. Suggestions are welcome.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

I think that is how I'd do it. The walls will reflect light so I'd use the 2-bulb fixtures around the sides, and the 4-bulb fixtures in the middle.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Yup, and if you have not gotten the tubes yet, HD has some that are much brighter than standard. I could not believe the difference they made in my 3-car garage. It was literally like night and day!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I painted the ceilings and walls of my small shed/shop a slightly off white and it made huge difference in the amount of light in there. This is not what you asked but it sure helps the lighting situation.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Thalermade
          • Dec 2002
          • Ohio
          • BT 3000

When placing lights above workbenches, keep in mind the shadow that your head/body may cast (especially when leaning over an item you are working on)- so you will probably need to mount the fixture closer to the wall than you would think.

And don't forget to dust them tubes every month or so!!

have fun
          Russ

Comment

• WayneJ
            • Jan 2004
            • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

If you live in a cold winter area you might want the VHO light fixtures. They start up when the cold sets in. There are also cold start ballasts made for some lights. The plastic sleeves are also a good safety idea over the tubes.
            Wayne
            Wayne J

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Fort Wayne, IN.
              • Jet 10" Contractor

What makes it possible for the light to work in the cold? Is it the tube or the ballast? I have access to some "Older" lights but am afraid they will be too warm blooded in the wintertime. Would new tubes make a difference?

bigdaddyjohn

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by bigdaddyjohn
                What makes it possible for the light to work in the cold? Is it the tube or the ballast? I have access to some "Older" lights but am afraid they will be too warm blooded in the wintertime. Would new tubes make a difference?

bigdaddyjohn
                My understanding is it's the ballast. The magnetic (?) ballasts don't do well in the cold, IIRC. The electronic ones work down to some temp much too cold for me to be in my unheated shop.

Sometimes the box will give the temp range.

I'm sure somebody here knows WAY more about this than I do.

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

If its colder than 40-45F you will need cold start ballasts unless you don't mind it taking a while for the ballast to warm up and the lights start to work right. Most ballasts are rated for a temp range. Cold start ballasts are rated to 0F or -20F in most cases.

Ballasts are a PITA.. I do all of our ballast ordering at work.

Comment

• dkhoward
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                    • bt3000

Dont forget to put shields over the tubes. Nothing like a shower of fine glass and the nasty stuff they put inside on your half finished project when you raise a long piece just a little to high.
                    Dennis K Howard
                    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• reddog552
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Belleville Il.
                      • Bt3000

lighting

One mistake that is made when hanging used lamps is cleaning the reflector or cover.Clean them with some greese cuting cleaner, If they are realy bad paint them with appliance white paint. A shiny light puts out 40% more light.
                      The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• Zenaca
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Idaho

I got high output 8ft floresent lites for my shop they are $50 apiece without the bulbs but i can walk in in -20 deg day and they light right up and they are really brite. In my 25X25 shop i have 6 and it is like daylite in there.

I got them from an electrical and plumbing place. Havnt seen them at home depot.

Bud

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Get 6500* daylight bulbs. They cost considerably more (about twice as much, IIRC) than the 4100* cool whites, but they put out more light and give a truer rendition of colors. That last is important -- helps avoid nasty surprises during the finishing stage.
                          Larry

Comment

• hermit
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Somerset, PA, USA.

9 eight footers will be plenty. I have 9 but all are 2 bulb fixtures, and I have more than enough light. My shop is 23 x 31. I ran 3 rows lengthwise. 1 down the middle end to end. The other 2 rows 8 ft from center, puttin them around 3 and 1/2 foot from the wall. I don't get any shadows, and I do use the daylight bulbs. I almost think they are too bright. Its almost too much of a "sterile" atmosphere in there. I still like some incandescant light, and am trying to figure out how to incorporate more. Right now I just use small task lighting for that. Wait, I lied, I do get a little shadow near the walls. I did put a small track lighting fixture over my bench area against the one wall to give more light. I guess if you want to put the fixtures closer to the wall that might be a good Idea. I used some calculations I found in a WOOD magazine to configure my layout. They use the size of the shop and the distance of the light to the WORK SURFACE area to figure the right spacing between fixtures. I might be able to dig it out if you're interested, but it may take a little time.

Todd

Comment

• davebil
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2004

Here is what I decided on - my work area will be about 20x24. I went with a rectangle layout with my four bulb fixtures over the main work area. This should leave me with a light over every bench/tool. I have one extra fixture which will be over the radiant heat manifolds and associated hardware.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...