• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

How do I slow down my separator input?

My DC separator worked pretty well until I add the neutral vane and now it gets scoured pretty clean, except for the wood chunks (a good thing). I've been trying to come up with a way to spiral the incoming material and slow it down so that it will settle out - as is done in a cyclone unit. My separator is a 30 gal drum with a band clamp on the lid which is gasketed, for an FYI and the DC is the HF, 2 HP unit. I hate to cut into a 10' length of flexible 4" hose but that might be the only source of a flexible ducting. ANy input on an alternative and how many revolutions, or parts thereof, around the inside of the drum will be appreciated. Maybe there's a formula? At any rate I don't want to wnd up wasting a length of hose with too many failed experiments.

TIA,
    Chiz
    Last edited by ironhat; 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM. Reason: entered edit to wrong post and removed it
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've discussed this at length before...
    a properly tuned 1.5 to 2 HP DC with low restriction system will always scour a barrel-type sep. pretty much bare.

I would advise very much against adding loops of hose in your barrel - if it slows the air so much that the stuff falls out then you have succeeded in adding restriction and reducing the performance of your system.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

I dont' have the neutral vane mod in my HF unit yet but this is the way my seperator is set up.

Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I've discussed this at length before...
        a properly tuned 1.5 to 2 HP DC with low restriction system will always scour a barrel-type sep. pretty much bare.

I would advise very much against adding loops of hose in your barrel - if it slows the air so much that the stuff falls out then you have succeeded in adding restriction and reducing the performance of your system.

Well, I correctly remembered part 'A' of your comments, Loring, but I sure didn't do the same with part two. So, is the **only** function of the separator is to catch wood pieces and prevent damage to the vanes? (apologies for probably putting you through this again - a simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice).

Edit: Cancel that request, Loring. I found your post. I guess I failed to give the neutral vane creit for improving flow and thought that the separator should still be catching dust and shavings as before. Apologies to you too, Sarge, for trying to help me fix something that wasn't broken!!! Boy, I feel like a goof! Later, folks.
        Last edited by ironhat; 06-05-2007, 02:10 PM. Reason: add information
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

Working...