• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big tim
    • Mar 2006
    • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
    • SawStop PCS

Router as Thickness Planer?

I know that using your router to re-surface something is not a new idea, but if you have your router mounted on the BT3 accessory table and the piece you want to re-surface is not too wide, this might work for you as well as it did for me. I had two cutting boards that needed to be refinished, the boards were cupped as well.
    I used strips if MDF as rails to slide the accessory table mounted router back and forth on. When I couldn't go far enough to the right,

I simply rotated the table 180 degrees to finish. (I know the picture shows that I haven't finished the left side yet.)

Cutting board finished. I completed the job using my ROS.

I used a straight 3/4 bit so it took a while, but I was pleased with the outcome. I originally started the job using my belt sander with a 50 grit belt, but didn't seem to get anywhere. the boards were made from hard maple. Then I got this idea and it worked great.

Tim
    Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Nice solution, Tim. Thanks for the post.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
      • Dec 2006
      • hagerstown, md

nice idea and solution mate
      パトリック
      daiku woodworking
      ^deshi^
      neoshed

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

It does work very well, and takes some patience. I find the best way to get good results is to take very thin depth of cuts at a time. The depth adjustment can be made on the router, or with shims and guide boards for the router base. I used 1/32" shims (strips of formica) as an initial build up and remove them as I proceed.

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by cabinetman
          ........I used 1/32" shims (strips of formica) as an initial build up and remove them as I proceed.
          Good idea, particularly if the depth adjustment on your router isn't too accurate. The Bosch 1619 fortunately has very accurate and repeatable depth adjustment.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

Working...