• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ryan.s
    Are the one's from Lowe/HD foam or rubber? I'm thinking of putting some of these mats under an ellipical machine that's pretty heavy. I'm guessing the foam won't hold up under the weight?
    Ryan, check Sears in the exercise dept. They sell equipment mats just for that purpose. I found them, and like them as anti-fatigue mats, but they are sold for under equipment. 3 x 6 size, and run about $30. A little pricey but they're nice, and you can find them on sale at times too.

Todd

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Are the one's from Lowe/HD foam or rubber? I'm thinking of putting some of these mats under an ellipical machine that's pretty heavy. I'm guessing the foam won't hold up under the weight?

I know that you're asking about the mat squares but I'll add my 2 cents on the runner - it's a closed cell foam. Very resiliant and durable.
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

I bought some mats from Tractor Supply about 8 years ago that I really like. They are about 3/4 thick rubber and I think originally were about 4' x 6' but I cut them into smaller pieces to move around because they were so heavy. I believe they were originally intended for horse stalls but they are the easiest floor mats to keep I've ever had and way durable and very comfortable. No sticking on my epoxy painted concrete either.
        Just another one to check out,
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

My shop floor is painted with porch and floor paint and I added a small contain of that gritty sand stuff you can purchase. Otherwise and for some reason porch and floor when first laid is slicker than a baby's behind.

Added the dark grey 1/2" mats from HD-Lowes which seem to be seasonal at HD, but discovered that Lowe's carries them all year hidden back in the flooring section. Gotta look hard.

No need to glue them down and I have not had any problmem with them melting to the paint as I let the paint cure before you lay them down. I haven't had a problem in 4 years as I take them up and move them quite often with the removal and addition of machines. Just purchased two 4-paks from Lowes the other day. The mats hold up well rolling heavy machinery over them. You have to give a 770 lb planer a boost to get the casters up from pure concrete onto the mat, but once you do it will roll. But... that kind of weight rolls much better on pure concrete.. so I leave a concrete path to the front of the shop just for that reason on the machine row side. The work-bench and assembly area is all covered in those mats that are 4years old and still pristine.

For whatever reason they are much easier to vacuum than concrete. You can take them up and move them in a jiffy and they can be cut with a case knife to fit around corners and meet walls, etc. Good stuff and they are much easier on your feet than concrete or wood as they have some give. BTW.. if you have a shop cat (my shop foreman has passed now), thye do have a tendency to use them to shrapnen claws. Marrs the surface a bit, but doesn't affect what the mat is intended for!

Regards...
          Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by wardprobst
            I bought some mats from Tractor Supply about 8 years ago that I really like. They are about 3/4 thick rubber and I think originally were about 4' x 6' but I cut them into smaller pieces to move around because they were so heavy. I believe they were originally intended for horse stalls but they are the easiest floor mats to keep I've ever had and way durable and very comfortable. No sticking on my epoxy painted concrete either.
            Just another one to check out,
            DP
            I have the Costco version of the HF mat--foam type. Not too impressed. We
            have these rubber kind at work. They look like a big doormat. They're the kind
            cashiers stand on all day. They work! Probably more money but definitely
            better.

Paul

Comment

• ejs1097
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Seems like the mats melding to the floor is an isolated incident. I suppose you could put down roslin paper as a precaution
              Eric
              Be Kind Online

Comment

• wardprobst
                • Jan 2006
                • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                I have the Costco version of the HF mat--foam type. Not too impressed. We
                have these rubber kind at work. They look like a big doormat. They're the kind
                cashiers stand on all day. They work! Probably more money but definitely
                better.

Paul
                I think I paid $30 for the mats, they were on sale. I remember thinking it was a little over $1 square foot ( mats were 4' x 6'). They have held up extremely well but they are tall enough I can't roll a piano over them. And when they are down they will stay where you put them. They also clean easily and well. Best I've found.
                DP
                www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• JWS

I use the antifatigue mats from HF. I too wait for them to go on sale locally and pick them up a case at a time.

John

Comment

• GaryA
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Tampa, FL, USA.

so, in an 11x21 1 car garage dedicated shop, would you guys put these over the entire floor, or just in walking and standing paths?
                    Gary

Comment

• ryan.s
                      • Feb 2006
                      • So Cal
                      • Ridgid TS3650

If anyone is interested, I ended up picking up two sets from HF that were on sale for 7.99 each. I thought the foam looked a little soft but it seems that it's definitely dense enough to put an elliptical machine on it. So far so good. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by GaryA
                        so, in an 11x21 1 car garage dedicated shop, would you guys put these over the entire floor, or just in walking and standing paths?
                        I just have them where I stand the most but since my shop gets reconfigured to some degree almost daily, I move them around quite a bit. Which is why I cut them to a smaller size.
                        DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by wardprobst
                          I just have them where I stand the most but since my shop gets reconfigured to some degree almost daily, I move them around quite a bit. Which is why I cut them to a smaller size.
                          DP

Ditto that!!!!
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

• Crash2510
                            • Feb 2006
                            • North Central Ohio

I have not used the hf specifically but I can tell you to be careful with these if your shop is in a space where water can get up underneath them. I grew up on a dairy farm with these and they make a very efficient surfboard. When surfing and falling you can do a number to your shins
                            Phil In Ohio
                            The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...