• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Shop Floor

I'm in the process of adding to the 96 sq. ft. of anti-fatigue mat that I have on my shop floor, just wondering if any one else has any experience or thoughts on these mats from HF.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nothing on these specific mats, but do have an observation to share. I bought the anti-fatigue (2 x 4') mat from Woodcraft last September . Looked and feels pretty nice. Except that within days of laying it on my garage floor (concrete on which I put Epoxy paint many months before), I found the mat had melded with the floor, making it totally impossible to remove.

The way it is, the only way I can take it out is by ripping it off and then scraping all the leftover rubber with quite a bit of force. Don't like that, somehow. For now the map is okay from the top, so shall let sleeping-mats-lie.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Try This

Radhak, I've had great luck with the following product.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/prod_ft.htm

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• ke4rdb
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006
        • Mooresville, NC
        • Ridgid TS3650

I use the top one (black) they are pretty good, very light. They seem to work as advertised. I wait till HF has them on sale then buy, last ones (Feb) were $6.95 for 4 pieces. Woud recommend!

James
        Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Originally posted by ke4rdb
          I use the top one (black) they are pretty good, very light. They seem to work as advertised. I wait till HF has them on sale then buy, last ones (Feb) were $6.95 for 4 pieces. Woud recommend!

James
          What size (approx.) are the pieces?

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

2' x 2'

Sorry I did not mention the size, most times I will post a link along with the jpeg
            but the part # would not come up on the HF site.

Mike

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

I bought a bunch of these the last time they were on sale. They do have an odd interlock patter (note the tab in the middle has a different shape than the dovetail), so they don't often match up with others.

I saw some recently at HF that came with black edging; mine didn't come with edging. The packs were cheap enough that I just cut some of the squares in half and used them as edge pieces.

My only complaint other than the odd interlock is that it the static took a long time to dissipate. I know, because I "helped" it leave.
              Brian

Comment

• 68KANE
                Established Member
                • Jan 2005
                • Atlanta, Georgia.

I was searching for some anti fatigue options for my basement shop but couldn't decide what to buy. I'm glad I didn't buy any yet as I've painted my shop floor and don't want any mats 'melding' to it.

In the meantime, the LOML wanted new rugs for the kitchen so we bought some and I requisitioned the old kitchen ones while I'm looking.
                What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's!

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I saw some in Sam's today. 8 pack for $20. Just over 1/2" thick and black on one side, bright colors on the other.

I've also thought about the anti fatigue runner material at Lowe's.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• 68KANE
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Atlanta, Georgia.

Originally posted by Pappy
                    I've also thought about the anti fatigue runner material at Lowe's.

I was eyeing that stuff up too. I'm a little hesitant now after someone posting that stuff adhering to the floor. It looks like some good stuff though and the price isn't bad.
                    What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's!

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Lowes/HD sells similar mats in packs. The edge pattern looks the same as what is posted here. 8 to a pack IIRC. I do not recall price. We put them down in our exercise room. Not sure why you want to glue them down. We use the room daily. I just put them on the floor and they do not move.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ryan.s
                        • Feb 2006
                        • So Cal
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by crokett
                        Lowes/HD sells similar mats in packs. The edge pattern looks the same as what is posted here. 8 to a pack IIRC. I do not recall price. We put them down in our exercise room. Not sure why you want to glue them down. We use the room daily. I just put them on the floor and they do not move.
                        Are the one's from Lowe/HD foam or rubber? I'm thinking of putting some of these mats under an ellipical machine that's pretty heavy. I'm guessing the foam won't hold up under the weight?

Comment

• big tim
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                          • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Brian G
                          ........My only complaint other than the odd interlock is that it the static took a long time to dissipate. I know, because I "helped" it leave.
                          You have to wear wet clothes, Brian. That way "it" leaves quicker!
                          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• softop41
                            Established Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Mike,
                            I don't have those particular anti-fatigue mats but I have the black ones that Woodcraft had a couple years ago, before the got all fancy and made them green with 'Woodcraft' on them, and they help a lot. I have the floor of my basement shop painted and they don't stick at all. I have 4 that are 2' x 5' and move them around according to what I am doing and where I am doing it.
                            In general, anything is better than standing on concrete!!!!!
                            HTH,
                            Jerry
                            Jerry
                            Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• ironhat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Since my shop is narrow - 14' wide with the workbench and the 3650 in the center - I have two isles on either side which I covered one with a foam runner from Lowes, I believe. I believe they are 3' wide with tapered edges. IIRC about $4/ linear foot. Helps save what's left of a crummy back.
                              Later,
                              Chiz
                              Blessings,
                              Chiz

Comment

Working...