• Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
    thanks for the picture!

what i meant was the attachment of the vertical leg to the horizontal member at top and bottom. was it a mortise and tennon joint or did you also use lag bolts into the vertical legs from the bottom and top of the horizontal member?

regards,
    Mortise and Tenon. I used wedges in the top rail to tighten them up. The b ottom rail was supposed to have fox wedges ( I think they're called), but I couldn't drive the leg completely into the mortise, so I eliminated them. The idea is that the mortise in the bottom stretcher is not a through mortise, so you saw a kerf in the tenon, put in a small wedge, and when you assemble it the wedge tightens up the joint by bottoming out in the mortise. Like I said mine were too tight, so I couldn't use em.

BTW Pmf2000, great job the finish on that top looks too nice to use!

Todd

Comment

• pmf2000
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2005
      • Irricana, Alberta, Canada.

Originally posted by hermit
      Mortise and Tenon. I used wedges in the top rail to tighten them up. The b ottom rail was supposed to have fox wedges ( I think they're called), but I couldn't drive the leg completely into the mortise, so I eliminated them. The idea is that the mortise in the bottom stretcher is not a through mortise, so you saw a kerf in the tenon, put in a small wedge, and when you assemble it the wedge tightens up the joint by bottoming out in the mortise. Like I said mine were too tight, so I couldn't use em.

BTW Pmf2000, great job the finish on that top looks too nice to use!

Todd
      I used mortise and tenon joints as well. Of course I cheated. Since I was using 2x4 material, I was able to dado half the mortise on both sides and then glue them together. It turned out to be a handy trick.

As for the finish...I am still pretty careful around the table as it still "new".I'm sure I won't care in another month.
      Visit my site for more woodworking and home renovations projects. www.responsetolight.com

Comment

Working...