How to connect DC to router/sander/etc. dust ports?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IBBugsy
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Allentown, PA.
    • BT3100

How to connect DC to router/sander/etc. dust ports?

I have my DC set up with a 2.5" flex hose available at my work bench. I'm going to start looking into how to connect this to my Porter Cable Router dust port, RO sander dust port, etc. This would be for hand-held operations, not table mounted operations. I haven't measured anything yet but these ports seem smaller than shop vac connections so I'm pretty sure they won't work.

Before I go looking at tool manufacturer's web sites and on-line shops like Rockler, any suggestions out there to speed up my search?
    Last edited by IBBugsy; 01-16-2007, 05:26 PM.
    Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
    "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

I think this will help,
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• mpauly
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • NJ

That's what I use, but you can pick them up at home depot for $5 or so and avoid shipping costs.

Michael

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

You might want consider using the shop vac for those tools. Once you get down to the 1 1/4" size needed for the hand helds, I've found the DC doesn't do as well. You still need to reduce down from 2 1/2" though. I've found the plumbing section at the hardware store helpful. There are all kinds of rubber couplings that can be used.

Todd

Comment

• IBBugsy
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Allentown, PA.
          • BT3100

Thanks!!

I have to go measure my ports but I was hoping the size would be fairly standard for most power tools and that the local BORG or Lowes would carry this stuff. I also have a Woodcraft nearby that has been helpful.

The shop vac is a good thought. I'll have to play with that option....

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by IBBugsy
            I have to go measure my ports but I was hoping the size would be fairly standard for most power tools
            You'd think, but nooooo, that'd be too easy ...

I find that the ports on most hand-held power tools are reasonably close to the small 1-1/4" shop vac hose end size. Some of my tools came with adapters that help bridge the gap, even though the adapter is almost the same size on both ends. For example, a 1-1/4" hose nozzle slips right into the dust port on my Makita router, but with my DeWalt 621 I plug the included adapter into the router and then plug the hose into the adapter. The hose can be plugged directly into the 621's dust outlet -- the sizes are that close -- but using the adapter makes things a little more secure.

With my P-C plate joiner, I wrapped a couple rounds of duct tape around the outside of the dust port so that I got a tight friction fit for a 2-1/2" to 1-1/4" reducer similar to the Lee Valley item linked above. This stays with the plate joiner all the time; when I use the tool, I plug in a 2-1/2" hose.

Which reminds me: I should mention that with some tools, I use a 10' length of 1-1/4" hose before transitioning to a dust gate on my "central shop vac" system; with other tools, I use a 2-1/2" hose all the way to the tool.

In short it's just all something that has to be worked out on a case-by-case basis. Like Todd, I connect to a shop vac for all these small tools, as well as my CMS and Ridgid OS/B sander.
            Larry

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2004
              • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

...well just try to get fittings that work with the Fein Turbo II hose. I'll probably figure it out after I buy every fitting, reducer, and size PVC hose Home Depot has. Did I say I was size challenged when it comes to plumbing!

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I found some sump pump hose in a corner of Home Depot's plumbing isle that fit some of my hand tools quite well. And it's quite flexible too. Some light grey ribbed stuff, sold in a bag about 18in by 20in as I recall. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact name or brand. Fairly inexpensive too.

mpc

Comment

• dpaton
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2003
                  • USA.
                  • BT3000

I broke down and bought the real live P-C hose for my routers:

http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=3399&p=3297

It plugs right into my sshop vaac, and right onto the router, and is small enough to stay out of the way generally.

-dave
                  This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Comment

• IBBugsy
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Allentown, PA.
                    • BT3100

Thanks again!!

mpc - I've had my eye on that grey hose as a possibility. Glad to see it might work.

Dave - I checked my PC router manual and their website and never found this hose!! I put a "price watch" on it at Amazon.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

As advised, the shop vac tends to work better than the DC. The shop vac moves the air much quicker in the small diameter hose. For ROS dust collection hooking to a DC is fine, however for router connections you need a very high speed if you are using 1.5" or so fitting or hose.

Comment

• dpaton
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2003
                        • USA.
                        • BT3000

Dave-

I didn't find it anywhere in the manuals either. I picked it up when I got my fence kit at Rockler one day. It was the last one they had and was waaay down at the bottom of the rack of router accessories. if I hadn't been on my knees comparing part numbers on the mis-filed boxes, I never would have found it at all. As it was, it took me a good 10 minutes to dig it up on the website. I paid a pretty penny for it that day, but it's infinitely easier to use than the 2 1/2" hose with an adapter, and it's long enough to be really useful, and has earned it's keep many times over.

Oh, Jeffery's right, it works a TON better on a shop vac than a DC. Small hoses love high velocity air.

-dave
                        This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Comment

• IBBugsy
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Allentown, PA.
                          • BT3100

Thanks even more!!

I never used a router till about 3 months ago and I was amazed at the volume of wood that shot out of it. As I thought about it, I realized that I'm not making a thin cut as I would be with a saw. Having beefy velocity makes a lot of sense and I have a nice Craftsman shop vac that will do the trick.

BTW, did my first BT3100 cut a little while ago with my DC setup and Shark Guard. Even for a neat-freak like me, I didn't need to vacuum off the saw afterwards since just about ever spec of dust went up into the DC!! Granted, I only made 4 small cuts but I was still very impressed.

Comment

• hermit
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by mpc
                            I found some sump pump hose in a corner of Home Depot's plumbing isle that fit some of my hand tools quite well. And it's quite flexible too. Some light grey ribbed stuff, sold in a bag about 18in by 20in as I recall. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact name or brand. Fairly inexpensive too.

mpc
                            Just another FYI on this. I got the brainstorm to use this stuff instead of buying actual vac hose a couple years back. In short it'll break your eardrums when you turn on the vac. There was an extremely high pitch whistle created.

Todd

Comment

• mpc
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Cypress, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I don't hear any extra noise with mine, pulled by a Ridgid vac. I did cut the hose into two pieces; stock it was much longer than I needed. The first 3 or 4 feet has a permanent home on the BT3000 blade guard (I epoxied a plastic plumbing elbow to a hole in the top) to a "T" down by the main BT dust port. The remaining big chunk fits my PC circular saw (one of the MAG series) amazingly well. Between the MAG's noise and the vac I don't hear any additional noise from the hose. I wish this hose fit my Freud biscuit cutter though; the size mismatch is enough that tape won't do.

Hooked up to a real dust collector I wouldn't be surprised if this hose made noise though. Much more airflow, trying to run through a restricted diameter. I bet the hose would just suck down to no length!

mpc

Comment

Working...