• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Need air filter plans

I finally snagged a FREE squirrel cage blower from an old ac system. Not sure if I can make it a 2 or 3 speed, since it has what looks like lamp cord going to the motor. Anyhow, it works and it really moves some air. Only name I can find is Coleman, not plate on the motor that I can see without taking the whole thing apart.

I have looked and saved various threads with pictures of other air filters but would like to have some plans to start with. Apparently, Woodsmith #95 has plans but no back issues are available.

If anyone can scan and send me a copy, I would appreciate it.

TIA

Ken
  • liftoff621@hotmail.com
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Not Exactly Plans - You'll get the idea

http://woodcentral.com/shots/shot522.shtml

Very cool Air Filter. I've saved several pictures as I plan to build my own air filter. Good Luck!

Comment

• onedash
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Maryland
      • Craftsman 22124

Did it come out of a trailor? The first time I heard of a coleman furnace was someone who had one in their mobile home.
      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by lago
        I finally snagged a FREE squirrel cage blower from an old ac system. Not sure if I can make it a 2 or 3 speed, since it has what looks like lamp cord going to the motor. Anyhow, it works and it really moves some air. Only name I can find is Coleman, not plate on the motor that I can see without taking the whole thing apart.

I have looked and saved various threads with pictures of other air filters but would like to have some plans to start with. Apparently, Woodsmith #95 has plans but no back issues are available.

If anyone can scan and send me a copy, I would appreciate it.

TIA

Ken
        Ken,
        I found a plan while thumbing through my old wood magazines. When I get to work Monday, I'll scan it in and send it to you. It uses the squirrel fan with two stage filtration. (The second stage I thought was a type of auto filter. I had never thought of that. It seems that would allow good air flow but trap the samller particles. Does anyone know what micron level an auto filter would do?)

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Originally posted by gjat
          Ken,
          I found a plan while thumbing through my old wood magazines. When I get to work Monday, I'll scan it in and send it to you. It uses the squirrel fan with two stage filtration. (The second stage I thought was a type of auto filter. I had never thought of that. It seems that would allow good air flow but trap the samller particles. Does anyone know what micron level an auto filter would do?)

A few years back, (before I had the tools, just the wish), I was looking through one of the magazines and I saw one similar (would be interested in a copy). However, it used three filters, including a bag/pillow bag/ bellows style (unsure of proper name).
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by liftoff621@hotmail.com
            http://woodcentral.com/shots/shot522.shtml

Very cool Air Filter. I've saved several pictures as I plan to build my own air filter. Good Luck!
            This seems a simple way of doing it.

Looking at this, and at other similar plans, I have had a doubt : what is the orientation of the fan inside? I suppose the fan should be blowing out of the back, away from the filter. Am I right?

And when they talk of multiple filters, all of them would be placed sequentially, one after the other, right?
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              ...a bag/pillow bag/ bellows style (unsure of proper name).
              you mean pleated?
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                you mean pleated?
                Nope, pleated is just like your standard furnace filter. That one was on the outer layer.
                Found a large version of the style at grainger (doh, didn't think of looking there). Bag filter:
                http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611784709
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• WEG
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Nahant, MA.

Hi Lago;

I just wrote about my squirrel cage fan "filter" in the post just before this on on "using squirrel cage fans" or something like that...take a look and see if it helps you out.
                  I could send you a pic if you email me. I would try to post it, but last time I did that I posted it in the wrong format or size or something and it was bigger than lifesize! Got a lot of grief about that. Loring or someone bailed me out. They give me woodworking and computer hints...too bad I can't remember them all.

WEG

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Not sure if I can make it a 2 or 3 speed
                    Run it at top speed all the time. You need to circulate a lot of air in order to keep the dust down and other than a somewhat lower noise level, there's not much to be saved by running the blower at anything but full speed. If you have a large shop, you might need two!

Comment

Working...