• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Shop Air Conditioning

I know it's almost winter (I live in the Chicago area), but, now seems to be the time to buy.

My garage is my shop and it gets too hot to work at times in the summer months. I have a 2-1/2 car garage w/9' ceilings. I found a 4-yr old used Maytag M6D16E2A 16,000BTU EER=10.7 115V/12A window unit for an asking price of $100.

Couple of questions:

1) Is this unit too big for my space? (says it's good for 850 sq ft and my garage is around 600)

2) I have no idea what these are worth, is $100 too much?

Thanks,

Mike
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have a 14,500 BTU unit in my 800 sq ft w/ 10' ceiling detached workshop and find the unit barely enough even w/ 2 ceiling fans during the summer. Keep in mind I live in Mesa AZ and my summer temperatures average 110*.
    I'd say if the 16,000 BTU Maytag is in good shape and your shop is fairly well insulated you'll be in good shape.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I don't think it'll be too big. Keep in mind that when they spec it for 850 sq ft, that's probably 850 well-insulated, 8' ceiling sq ft. And if it does cycle off a little more than normal, so much the better.

$100 seems like a steal, if it's in good working condition.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

SOme time back I did some research for a garage in Houston TX.
        Assumed 8' high, 20x22 (425 sq ft) and Texas temperatures plus adequate household level
        insulation in the ceiling and walls, few windows.
        I came up with 14,000 BTU.
        Considering you're quite a bit farther north but have 600 sq ft vs 425
        then you'll probably be OK.

If you price them (just go to www.lowes.com and look for comparable-sized units) then you'll see that $100 is a pretty good price.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for all the help.

I bought the unit. It actually has an energy saving mode that cuts the output level down - if needed. The faceplate loovers need to be repaired and there are a couple of small places where the coil needs to be combed but the unit is in excellent shape otherwise. It even uses a remote.

I ended up paying $75 for it (didn't even bargain for the reduced price). I think I could have gotten it for less but with a couple of small children running around his apartment....well you know.

Mike

Comment

• gmack5
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Some things to consider

A/C is actually based on cubic feet, not square feet.
            The specs assume a standard 8' ceiling.

In other words, with a 9' ceiling you may be pretty close to the correct size. The unit is actually set up for 6800 Cubic Feet (850 X 8), a 24' X 32' X 9' room is of approximately that size. (24 X 32 X 9 = 6912 Cubic Feet).
            Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
            Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
            George

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

My advice to air conditioning garages is like a think ahead process. First, once you close the doors and flick it on you have cut your ventilation drastically. There's probably experts on this forum with the cubic foot/ air density/moisture level/ all that scientific stuff. I call that environment "hazardous confinement". If you are making any dust, or using any solvents, the risk of exposure exists. At one time I AC'd part of the shop for cooling and humidity problems, and had to duct the return air to a clean area. In dusty environments return air filters clog pretty quick. It gets to a comfort level where you might sacrifice proper ventilation for being "cool". I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just puttin' up a reminder of things to think about. As far as what's in the air you are breathing, sometimes it's not what you can see or smell. You might think I'm a fuddy duddy, but I learned some lessons the hard way.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

Working...