• Show
Clear All
  • Texas splinter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Abilene, TX, USA.
    • BT3100

Another question re: the new shop.

Ok, I've got the outlets in and wired, 4 seperate circuts - 4 outlets per circut.
    Will have three seperate circuts for the overhead lights.
    This question is to gather opnions on color. I plan to paint the ceiling gloss white, for max reflectivity of light. The shop has no windows to speak of, a half door window and 4 small windows in the garage door.
    SWMBO feels that I should paint the walls a light blue or pale yellow, I'm Ok with those colors, but might make one wall a really bold color, I don't know.
    The walls are roughly 20X20, 9' ceiling. Walls and ceiling are (or will be) sheet rock.
    I plan on building cabinets (lower and overhead) all the way down one wall. One wall is taken up, pretty much, by the 8X8 garage door and the entry door.
    So, any suggestions? Basically, I can live with about any color, 'specially if it makes mama happy. has anyone out there had a shop that drove them crazy, color-wise?
    "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
    Abilene, Texas
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Gloss white has the best reflectivity and is easiest to clean. A tan or yellow will hide some sawdust.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Any light color will help to reflect light but light tans or off-whites would be the best.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Navaho white is a generic off white (the most popular color white actually) and will hide dirt and reflect light well. painting the floor white will also make a HUGE difference on ambient lighting.
        if you are using florescents buy fixtures with wide reflectors with no holes in the top of the reflectors (called uplighting) they will give you maximum lighting efficacy. if you spend a little more on T8 lighting you will be happier in the long run. no flicker, instant on, no buzzing, more color choices, and you will be able to buy bulbs for them past 2010. (old T12 bulbs will no longer be sold after 2010)
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Texas splinter
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Abilene, TX, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks for the info guys, especally the info from you, Tom. I don't know if I will be working in the shop after 2010, But then that is only 4 years from now isn't it? Gee, where did time go? I guess the old saying is true:
          "Fun flies when you're doing time."

Chuck Hershiser
          Abilene, Texas

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

You mentioned that you intend to use drywall. If this is truly a "shop", not a multpurpose room, you might consider a hard material. Tongue and groove wood, plywood, whatever. The benefit is that you can put cabinets, tool racks, or other wall-mounted stuff exactly where you want it without trying to find the studs.

Then paint it in the light colors you seek.

My 2c.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Texas splinter
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Abilene, TX, USA.
              • BT3100

My first intention was to do just exactally that, use 1/2" ply on the walls. However, when I discussed the new shop with my insurance agent, she said: "...No drywall, no coverage..." So drywall it is. It's a fire resistance thing, what with using paints and thinners and all in the shop, then with wood walls...

Chuck Hershiser
              Abilene, Texas

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Texas splinter
                My first intention was to do just exactally that, use 1/2" ply on the walls. However, when I discussed the new shop with my insurance agent, she said: "...No drywall, no coverage..." So drywall it is. It's a fire resistance thing, what with using paints and thinners and all in the shop, then with wood walls...
                Is this a free-standing building? If so, what are the distance separations to other stuctures and/or to property lines?
                Larry

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JR
                  You mentioned that you intend to use drywall. If this is truly a "shop", not a multpurpose room, you might consider a hard material. Tongue and groove wood, plywood, whatever. The benefit is that you can put cabinets, tool racks, or other wall-mounted stuff exactly where you want it without trying to find the studs.

Then paint it in the light colors you seek.

My 2c.

JR
                  I have wondered about this and the other reply about non-drywall space not
                  being insured.

Firstly, as I set up shop, I was going to use plywood for the walls. However,
                  I normally use drywall screws to hang cabinets and normally, the first 1/4"
                  under the head is not threaded for 1 1/4" screws and 1/2" of no thread on
                  >2" screws. Even if you use 3/4" material, at most you'll only have 1/2" of
                  thread in the board. Is that enough to hang a cabinet?

Secondly, when your agent said drywall it or no insurance, is this only
                  because your shop is attached to your house?

Paul

Comment

• gjat
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                    • BT3100

Since when are men supposed to ask what color to paint their shop?

(I haven't asked my wife yet and want to make sure I don't get in trouble.)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

A little off topic, but I read at some texas jail the warden had the cells painted pink including the bars. and the prisoners wear pink jumpsuits, have pink underwear and have to use pink towels. The men inmates hate it and they say since the pink came in returning prisoners have dropped 20%. No effect on the women prisoners, though.

Maybe if you paint your tools pink no one will want to borrow them or even steal them! Paint you shop pink and.... well, we won't go there.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...