• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

RAS/ CMS combo table

It's time to plan some winter projects for the shop and this one is high on the priority list (still didn't get the floor painted - too darn much stuff to move and what do ya do with it for about two days?). Here's my list but my gut tells me that I'm overlooking something. Suggestion if you please.
    Chiz

*10' length of table
    *removeable fence to enable use of table for layout, etc - this also allows lateral adjustment for tape measure (see below) calibration to blades
    *R and L reading tape measures on the fence(s)
    *## Maybe ## build the table as a large air cleaner using squirrel cage fan and low micron furnace filters (haven't worked this one through, yet)
    *Plum in dust collection to both saws
    *More light over table
    *Strategically positioned T-slots for mounting
    hold-downs or mitre jigs.
    *Stop block on the fence
    Last edited by ironhat; 09-28-2006, 02:39 PM.
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

We're lucky out here in that our weather is pretty predictable. No rain between June and November. So, I moved half my garage stuff out onto the back deck for a few days in order to paint one half the garage floor. Then, waited a couple days for the paint to dry thorough before moving the half of the stuff I'd left in the garage to the other side of the garage to paint the other half of the floor. Waited a few days, and moved everything back in from the deck. Stretched out over a week!
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004

That was the strategy that I had in mine, David. I'd move half of the equipment to the other garage bay which is on the other side of the wall. It's a lot of lugging that my decrepit health can't perform and the son-in-law has abducted my daughter to a town 1.5 hours away. I bought some Dura-Kote two years ago and, well, there it sits. I have pondered just shoving and stacking things to one side but there's the tri-sodium phosphate wash down to worry about splahing about. Even with poly sheeting covering everything there's bound to be a few spatters. Now that our weather has cooled into the 50's... hmmm. Thanks for the input, David. As you can see, this thread hasn't garnered much interest.
      Later,
      Chiz
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

FWIW, Ironhat, there's an article in ShopNotes #82 about a miter saw workcenter. They have a nice design for removable, adjustable length fence with flipstop and t-track.

JR
        JR

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Chiz,

You may get some ideas from Xamu's thread, http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=18950 , he did an awesome job of incorporating both into a mobile sheet rack.

HTH
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004

Thanks, guys. Boy, that fine table would exceed my capabilities by several factors of 10!! Maybe I can cleave off some useable ideas to match my abilities. The SN table is basic and gives me some ideas as well. Thom, I gotta tell ya that you signature line reference to the official thong gives me a bit of a chill every time - LOL!!
            Thanks again,
            Chiz
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Chiz

I can only suggest trying to forsee what projects might be ahead for you to take in consideration of any changes or additions to the bench. Mine was set up with both saws using the same basic fence. The CMS was set lower so the table lined up with the RAS. It was all flat. Making a list and checkin' it twice is the way to go, besides getting feedback here. It's a good question and a lot of us go through this fire drill.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

Xamu's cutstation is a work of art.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...