Can you use too big a wire for a subpanel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Can you use too big a wire for a subpanel?

The electrician wants to use 6-3 wire + ground for a new 60amp 220V subpanel.
    No argument there. My dad has cable of unknown wire number and gauge he
    used for his cabin. He says it's sized to power 200A service for his cabin.
    So this cable has to exceed what's needed for my sub.

The wire going to my garage is going underground in a conduit. Can I use my
    dad's extra cable for my sub? It's not possible to have too thick a wire is it
    as long as it fits the lugs in the sub?

Thanks, Paul
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I would think as long as it fits in the lugs it should be ok. if it were too big it would be mechanical reasons not electrical.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• paintandbodtman
      Banned
      • Jul 2006

wire guage

Not a electrician but I would think that using too large a wire gage in this instance would be the same as replacing a fuse with a higher rating than whats supposed to be used. If you have a fire and an insurance claim the investigator could possibly deny claim if this subpanel is involved, lots of times insurance adjusters look for contributory neglegence. Just something to think about FWIW

Wayne

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by paintandbodtman
        Not a electrician but I would think that using too large a wire gage in this instance would be the same as replacing a fuse with a higher rating than whats supposed to be used. If you have a fire and an insurance claim the investigator could possibly deny claim if this subpanel is involved, lots of times insurance adjusters look for contributory neglegence. Just something to think about FWIW

Wayne
        excepting where it won't fit the connnector and is left partially inserted, I can think of no reaons why a bigger than required wire can be considered a hazard. The Code I think requires only minimum wire sizes.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by paintandbodtman

Wayne
          There is no such thing as an insureds contributory negligence in a property claim. Contributory negligence is a legal principle applied in a few states in our country toward liability only (usually auto). A claim such as outlined above could not be denied in any state. If the homeowner and non-compensated/non-professional friends did it there is no subrogation potential either. If a professional did this the property policy would respond with claim payment and subrogate damages against the contractor.

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Wire and cable gauge requirements are minimum code requirements.
            In other words you can legally exceed the code requirements by using a wire that is heavier than the requirement.
            Using fuses or breakers of higher values creates a safety issue because it may allow the wiring it is supposed to be protecting to be overloaded.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by maxparot
              Wire and cable gauge requirements are minimum code requirements.
              In other words you can legally exceed the code requirements by using a wire that is heavier than the requirement.
              Using fuses or breakers of higher values creates a safety issue because it may allow the wiring it is supposed to be protecting to be overloaded.
              exactly!!!
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I would double check in advance to make sure it does fit the lug - before you get ready to install it. DAMHIKT
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Currently, the only real reason you wouldn't want to use wire larger than necessary is because you'd have to pay for it. As in, pay through the freakin' nose. When I put the new subpanel in my shop a little over two years ago, I paid on the order of $32 for a 250' roll of 12/2 with ground. Today, the same roll costs somewhere north of $100. OUCH!!!
                  Larry

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LarryG
                    Currently, the only real reason you wouldn't want to use wire larger than necessary is because you'd have to pay for it. As in, pay through the freakin' nose. When I put the new subpanel in my shop a little over two years ago, I paid on the order of $32 for a 250' roll of 12/2 with ground. Today, the same roll costs somewhere north of $100. OUCH!!!
                    Well, hopefully my dad has enough cable for me and gives me a family discount.
                    That's why I'm considering this route. The electrician is charging me only for
                    time and I'm paying for materials. He told me for the length of wire and gauge I
                    need (70'), that could put me over $500-$600 JUST FOR WIRE!!! I was pretty
                    floored. That's, like, a new jointer!

Thanks for the responses,
                    Paul

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by LarryG
                      Yeah- I noticed the same thing. I bought a couple of spools of 12/2 NM and now I'm nearly out. Looking at the higher prices on wire makes me think that Gas prices are reasonable....

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Now I think I understand . . .

(Not intending to hijack this thread)
                        I caught the tail end of some CNN news a couple of days ago. One of the newscasters said "what a shame it was that some people have taken to stealing other people's outside AC unit for the metal". That is all that I heard.

Was it copper that they were talking about? Has copper gone that high?
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by leehljp
                          Was it copper that they were talking about? Has copper gone that high?
                          Respectively: probably, and yes.

I just pulled my receipt file. On 8 July 04, I bought a 250' roll of 12/2 Romex at Lowe's for $29.50, plus tax. Today, they're not showing this same item on the web site, however a 100' roll is $58.99 -- that's exactly twice as much as I paid, but for only 40% as much wire!

They do show a 250' roll of outdoor-rated 12/2 ... $124. This grade appears to average about 12% higher than indoor wiring, so that would make the same roll I bought 26 months ago for $29.50 cost somewhere around $110 today.
                          Larry

Comment

• Thom2
                            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Stevens, PA, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by leehljp
                            Has copper gone that high?
                            Over the course of the past few months, I've heard of numbers nearing $4/lb for scrap on several occassions.
                            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Back on topic......

Paul, Where I see you will have trouble is in the main panel box. The breaker that will control the sub-panel may not be able to handle the larger size wire. The sub-panel will probably handle the wire.

If you have that large of a size of wire, put a larger size sub-panel in the garage. Then you have room to expand, can isolate your electric runs. The breaker in the main panel box would need to be larger to handle the larger sub-panel, and the larger breaker might be able to handle the larger size wire.

Remember if you are going to larger wire, you will probably need larger conduit. He probably told you 1" conduit, with 200A wire you would probably need about 1 1/2" or 2" conduit. Don't remember the number of the top of my head, but you get the ideal.

If your trenching all of this in, consider putting in an extra conduit that you can run wire thru later ( phone, cable, network, intercom, etc.)
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...