• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Fixed Vs Mobile Bench/ TS/ Whatever

I'm just getting into WW and I figure that the first thing to build would be a better workshop! I have space on the smaller side in my bsement to use. The biggest issue is a support that is smack dab in the middle, and makes things hard to work around. I'm starting to think that a mobile base for both my TS and workbench would allow the most flexibility. However, am I giving up stability?

Is there a compromise/ solution to allow a mobile work station or bench to be both movable and stable once set?

Or, should I just concentrate on the layout of the shop and make the majority of the work area fixed/ stationary?
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

What are the dimensions of the area, and how far out from each wall is the support?

My BT3 mobile base is highly mobile, and very solid once in position. I chose not to rely on locking casters -- haven't come across any yet that lock well enough for my taste -- but rather, I use four swivel casters in conjunction with a couple of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveler Foot.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	779621

They're homemade leveler feet; new and improved version utilizes eyebolts that can be turned by hand. There are two in front, one on each side, and they make the unit VERY solid, and allow for all four points of contact to be equally loaded.

More info here.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

various types of "mobile bases" for tools allow movement but then allow the tool to be firmly planted on the ground by various means of lowering at least two corners to the ground to be off any swiveling casters.

One popular mobile base is made by HTC and sold on Amazon.

Other designs have been made, one posted above to lift the tool or bench so that it is stable.

Thetrouble, esp. with swivelling casters, is that the bench rolls away or the offset swivels rotate allowing the bench or tool to move when you apply any down or sideways pressure, thus leading to accidents and misfeeds. Even if you have locking casters. BTW some casters lock in both the rolling and swivelling directions, making them more stable.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

My old two benchs (inherited) are made from Coffin container, shipping crates, LONG, heavy. I am going to probably redo those latter. I am planning my new one with a torsion box base, with casters that lock both ways, and levelers like the ones previously posted. I am planning on using those socket adapters in a drill with a cheap (leave hanging on bench for this) wrench to quickly lift and lower it. And use the old maple top from a school auction. The torsion box will be the base and also a platform to leave glue ups drying (planning a plastic curtain, so I can still work on projects above).
        If you are looking for using this as an outfeed table, there is a photo on sawmillcreek.org, by Allan Schaffter, under Torsion box...allright, you, that has an interesting idea. As several people have asked him if he is going to manufacture those legs, I have asked for permission to post the picture here. I will do so when appropiate.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ejstefl
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2006

Home Depot sells a mobil base called the Herc-U-Lift. It comes on their Rigis TS3650 table saw. It works very well, as it acutally moves the casters away to set the tool down.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

All my "stationary" tools are on mobile bases. I use the Wood Magazine plan http://woodstore.woodmall.com/roltoolbas.html, as do some others on this forum.

My toolbenches are not mobile, but it would probably be a good idea if they were. My table saw has one of the Wood Mag bases, but I hardly ever use it. When I do use it, it's exremely valuable. I usually discover some ungainly cut is just a tech off in my small space. I want to move the TS quickly without risk of jarring anything out of alignment.

As has been mentioned, though, you want to make sure whatever scheme you use allows for stability once the tool or bench is in place.

JR
            Last edited by JR; 08-10-2006, 06:30 PM.
            JR

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My BT3100 base is mobile and uses a HF mobile base adapted into the saw base - you can see what I did in the articles (Spruce and Sandeply). My workbench is a rough copy of Norm's version. You lift the ends of the workbench and the wheels flop down into position. Works pretty well. I do not move either a lot but would not want to have to leave them permanently in one position. The workbench is actually light enough I drag it more than I use the wheels.

Jim

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

My main work bench (also holds my BT3), sanding center, bandsaw and drill press are all mobile. I have to problems with stability and have the option to move things as needed for space/cleaning.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

saw mobility....

Shortly after buying my Bt3100...I decided that I did not like the caster set
                  that was in the accessory package I bought with the saw. I bought a universal mobile machine base from sears $79.00 and stretched it all the way
                  open and fitted my Bt3100 into it, a real tight fit! But it works great and
                  the two front caters lock down and I have never liked anything better as far
                  as mobility is concerned.

work bench....not mobile...it is stationary and very heavy and solid!
                  All that being said...small shop,crowded shop, mobility and flexability
                  in work area is everything in my opinion! eezlock

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I have to have all my tools mobile.

The band saw sits on a the Wood magazine design base like JR showed. After that I modified the design using lifts with swivel casters on both ends for my jointer and Kitten's lathe. One of the things I have never liked about this design is the way the lever is attached and operates. Just seems a bit awkward to me and, unless you use thread lock, the pivot bolt works loose. I have a prototype about finished to modify the lift lever.

The tool cart, router station, and drill press are on 4 swivel casters with the front pair total lock style (swivel and wheel). The drill press is on Grizzly casters. The other 2 use casters ordered from Darnell-Rose. The wheel and axle locks on the Darnell-Rose casters are both very solid.

No matter what design you use, if you build your own, don't go bargain basement on the casters.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

So- from the sounds of it no one has had any issues with stability? I thought the big pull of the big cabinet saw is that it's locked to the floor and thus more accurate....

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Clemson, SC, USA
                        • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                        So- from the sounds of it no one has had any issues with stability? I thought the big pull of the big cabinet saw is that it's locked to the floor and thus more accurate....
                        If you use the HTC/Herc-u-lift types, they go stable as the casters/wheels are stabilized when in the down position. Everything in my shop is on wheels, including the bench. The bench would be problematic if I did a lot of hand planing as there is still some latent movement. For the way I work, I haven't had a problem
                        Ken Weaver
                        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

Something you may want to think about- my bench is not mobile in the conventional sense, it sits solid to the floor. What I do have is a set of dollies I can attach to each end when I want to move it. I use Roll R Carry dollies that I have for moving organs (my line of work) but similar units are available for moving household items through moving supply companies such as New Haven. Since I do a bit of hand planing, I need a bench that won't move and this works for me. An alternative would be to attach wheels(similar to the way Ryobi did on the BT3) at one end and use a hand truck at the other. Large pneumatice wheels are available at Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, other places like that. Attach at one end, use a hand truck or furniture dolly at the other.
                          I've never had any trouble with having the other tools on mobile bases but the workbench needs to be solid if you do any serious planing IMO.
                          Hope this helps,
                          DP
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...