• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Homasote?

Thanks for everyone answering questions for my new shop (tools, power, etc)

Turns out my home inspector has a workshop in his 3 car garage. For sound
    insulation he mentioned a product called "homasote". I've read up on it and
    it sounds to be something I will probably use. He said he cut it to size to fit
    between his studs leaving a gap on either side. Then he caulked the space
    with some special stuff then filled in the rest with fiberglass insulation then
    OSB or drywall over that. He says it really stops the sound from coming in or
    going out.

Anyone have experience using it? A few years ago I found some kind of
    fiber-y 4x8 sheets that I attached to my garage door for sound deadening.
    They weren't labeled as "Homasote" at HD. It seemed to work but it was
    hard to cut because all the fibers were cross linked. I ended up scoring it
    multiple times with a utility knife and kinda' snapping it like drywall. It didn't
    leave a smooth edge. That's really my question, how do you cut it cleanly?

Thanks, Paul
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have no idea but here's some suggestions to try:

Electric meat knife with serrated blade
    Bandsaw
    Hot knife
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

"Homasote" has become a "Kleenex"-like word, used to describe an entire class of similar products when it is really a trade name of one specific company. Since you say you've read up on it, you probably know that, also that it is comprised largely of recycled newpaper.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I worked for a design/build outfit that used a lot of the stuff in apartment construction. In can be scored and broken but we mostly cut it with a circular saw. Makes a mess with a lot of fine dust, so if you do this be sure to wear a dust mask or, better yet, a respirator.
      Larry

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LarryG
        A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I worked for a design/build outfit that used a lot of the stuff in apartment construction. In can be scored and broken but we mostly cut it with a circular saw. Makes a mess with a lot of fine dust, so if you do this be sure to wear a dust mask or, better yet, a respirator.
        Yup, that's about what I thought. I guess I'll wait until there's a good breeze.

Thanks,
        Paul

Comment

• RHunter
          Established Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
          • BT3100

Wonderful sound deadening material!!

We used to use it in the theatre to be a top panel over plywood for raised platforms. Prevents the booming from actors jumping all over the platforms.

It is indeed messy and dusty to cut- and not the lightest material if I remember correctly.
          "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
          "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

Comment

• lkazista
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Yeah, we use Homesote whenever we build a set for motion pictures. Really helps.

Comment

• burrellski
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Saint Joseph, MO.

Something to consider...

If you do not place some type of sound barrier between your sheeting (osb, sheetrock, whatever) and your wall studs, you will still get some sound transfer through the studs. Some type of sound deadening material in the wall cavities helps, but its not an end-all solution.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by burrellski
                If you do not place some type of sound barrier between your sheeting (osb, sheetrock, whatever) and your wall studs, you will still get some sound transfer through the studs. Some type of sound deadening material in the wall cavities helps, but its not an end-all solution.
                Quite so. We design a fair number of sound-rated partitions in our projects, and there's a lot more to it than simply stuffing the wall full of some kind of sound deadening material. Some key techniques:

1. Unbalance the wall assembly from one side to the other, so that the two faces will vibrate at different frequencies. For example if there is gypsum board on both sides, before the gypsum board goes on apply a base layer of Homasote on one side only -- not on both sides.

2. Mount the gypsum board on one side only on resilient furring channels. Again, don't do this on both sides ... the idea is to deliberately unbalance the assembly, so you don't have the exact same mass and makeup of materials on both sides of the wall.

3. Use acoustical sealant at all edges, and around all penetrations (electrical boxes, pipes, etc).

4. Stagger electrical boxes on opposite faces of the wall so they are not in the same stud space.

Constructing a good sound-rated partition is all about the details. Small chinks in the armor can make the whole effort all for naught.
                Larry

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I went to HD last night in search of Homasote and found 4x8 panels. $23
                  each! I figured for the 3 walls of this garage, I'd need about 25 panels.
                  That's steep! This stuff cost more than the OSB I was going to cover
                  the walls with. I can't wait to start pricing the cost of insulation.

Comment

Working...