• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Dust Control Suggestions Needed

I have searched this and other forums for dust control suggestions but I was unable to find any to fit my present circumstances.

I am using my garage for a shop, at least until the snow flies, and need better dust control. At the moment, dust collection is by a 10 gal. shop vac attached to the dust port at the back of the BT3100. I have ordered a Shark and when it arrives, I can attach it either to the shop vac (with a "T" fitting) or to my Fein 9.55.13 vac.

For now, I will probably use both vacs, one attached to the back port on the BT3100 and the other attached to the port on the Shark.

At this time I do not have room for a real dust collector (as Delta or other brands) but that may change in about a year.

I need suggestions as to whether or not an air cleaner (as Delta, Jet) in addition to the dual shop vac use noted above will significantly improve dust control enough to justify the cost. Or, should I use the dual vac system for now and wait to install the dust collector next Spring? Again, cost is an issue and I don't want to spend for the air cleaner if I am able to install a dust collector in less than a year. In the long run, should I plan for both a dust collector AND an air cleaner; in what sequence?

Thanks for your help.
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

I think that most would suggest getting a DC prior to an air cleaner. One quick test to see if/how much an air cleaner would help your current set up would be to strap a furnace filter on to the intake side of a box fan (redneck air cleaner) and let it run while you're working for a couple of hours. Try to hang it up relatively close to where you'd expect to install an air cleaner.

If you do decide that an air cleaner is in your immediate future, do some searches for shop built air cleaners and you will find some fairly easy solutions that are much less expensive than a store bought unit. (I hope that others will chime in with some examples.)

Good luck.
    Bill

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

You should get both eventually. The DC will get most of the stuff at the source. I knew I needed an air filter also, but didn't realize how much fine particles were left in the air till I got one. If $$$ are tight try to find a used squirrel cage motor from a heating company, they usually toss them when they replace a system. If you weren't so far away I have one I'd give you. Build a box to put it in with an opening for a couple of furbace filters, and hang it on the ceiling.
      Take care of your lungs, they don't grow back or flush themselves.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you are already doing some dust collection at the tools, then you might benefit next from an air cleaner. Some fine particles will always become airborne and the air cleaner, moving 6-10 shop volumes of air per hour will remove a lot of these. You will see it on the filter face and also not having it settle all over the shop.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Thanks Loring, Ken and Bill for the advice.

Based on your imput and information in other posts, I am leaning toward getting an air cleaner, probably a Jet AFS-1000. I like the Jet because it comes standard with a remote control, three speeds, and an electrostatic filter. Additionally, it can be moved to other rooms for remodel and drywall projects.

I will 'live with', at least for the time being, using shop vacs as dust collectors on the BT3100 (rear port and Shark port).

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

The Jet is a good choice. I've had it for a couple of years with no problems. Mine came with an outside paper filter and an internal bag filter. I immedaitely bought a washable outer filter and use the paper one when the washable one is drying. Never, never, never, never use the air filter when any of the filters, especially the bag has any moisture in it! DAMHIKT

Comment

• krogers
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Garden City, New York, USA.

Hey Ken, I have to ask,......what happens?

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by krogers
                Hey Ken, I have to ask,......what happens?

Comment

• krogers
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Garden City, New York, USA.

Good one.

Good comeback Ken. I toast to you.

Comment

• burrellski
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Saint Joseph, MO.

If you haven't done so already, go out and by a good quality HEPA filter for your vac. It will help keep your shop-vac from becoming a 'dust-pump.' I picked up a couple HEPA filters from sears on clearance for $8 a piece a while back, but I believe they were originally around $30.

Comment

Working...