Clear All
  • tlt
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Tucson, Arizona.
    • Delta 36-682

router fence designs?

Hi all,

I recently picked up this router top for my table (http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/products.asp?ID=6), and would like to make a fence for it.

The one that used to come with it looked pretty nifty (they no longer carry it) -- the router table has a a hole where a pin from the fence locked in, and then you can pivot the fence to be flush when the bit bearing. The other side of the fence had some sort of lockdown screw, although it didn't actually screw into the table. Do you guys know of any source for this kind of hardware? I'm not sure that the fence in the picture is the same one they demo in their router video.

Also, are there any other fence designs that you guys would recommend / share? I've got a couple of cheapy aluminum tables that have slots drilled through for the fence, but don't really want to go that route. I use the router for anything from straight bits to raised panels, so anything that offers zero-clearance woule be cool.

Thanks for any advice.

--tlt

Edit -- there's a more detailed description of how the fence works here -> http://www.woodshopdemos.com/table-6.htm
    Last edited by tlt; 06-22-2006, 04:06 PM.
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

tlt,
    Here are a few pictures that were sent to me by one of our forum members a while back. If you look closely it is a homemade fence modeled after the Sommerfeld fence. It is even mounted on a Sommerfeld's Phenolic top.

I can't remember the name of the forum member but I don't think he would mind me sharing it with you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CMTRouterFenceCopy1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	779459Click image for larger version

Name:	CMTRouterFenceCopy2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	779460
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• tlt
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Tucson, Arizona.
      • Delta 36-682

wow, that is a nice-looking fence, and pretty much exactly what i was looking for...

another newbie question -- those aluminum pieces that he used for the fence part of the fence, what do you call those, and where can you get them? it looks like they've got t-tracks in the front, and probably also in the back to allow the fence to be adjusted.

--tlt

Comment

• gad5264
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Columbus, Ohio, USA
        • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Originally posted by tlt
        another newbie question -- those aluminum pieces that he used for the fence part of the fence, what do you call those, and where can you get them? it looks like they've got t-tracks in the front, and probably also in the back to allow the fence to be adjusted.

--tlt

I think alot of people use a place on ebay called 80/20 or something like that. Maybe one of the other forum members will chime in with more information.
        Grant
        "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Here's mine. It uses the same fence faces you see in the other pic...he goes by "mbg" IIRC. The fence is the crosscut fence from a 22124 ans 22114 from Sears. Places like Hartville Tool, Rockler, and Woodcraft all sell some type of slotted fence too. I used aluminum angle as the support.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Knottscott; 06-23-2006, 06:27 AM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...