• Show
Clear All
  • Jim0424
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2003
    • Dallas, Texas, USA.
    • Two BT3Ks.

question about extracting a rolled pin

Hi, all. I'm sure my UPS delivery person wasn't too happy, but I was the high bidder on a Columbian 7-RD wood vice. I'd even bet that it's the very same one I used in my 7th-grade shop class, what, 38 years ago. Just kidding. Anyway, I want to disassemble this 30-plus-pound relic and clean it up for its next life in my garage-based sawdust factory. The key to an orderly breakdown is a rolled pin. I'd like the members' opinions on extracting the pin. Is it directional? That is, should it be tapped out in a certain direction? Does the raised line mean anything, relative to this task? Or, should I shut up with the stupid questions, and just bang it out? Please see the attached image.
    Attached Files
    My ex-: "No one will ever notice that."
    I will.
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

I've taken out many roll pins. Some can be a bear, others not so bad. First, they're not directional when used as shown in your picture. Look first for any scoring or "knurling" on the pin that might hinder the punch-out. If all OK, then I suggest taking it out to whichever side is already most exposed (your picture does indicate that it is already further out in one direction than the other, so go with it). Spray the joint with Liquid Wrench or some other solvent/penetrating oil, and try to relieve side pressure from the collar by tapping it lightly. Now use pliers to try to push the pin in from the short end, using care not to wreck the pin, or score it in any way. Once one end of the pin is flush, use a pin punch of the appropriate size and a hammer to punch the pin out the rest of the way. You may need to use pliers or an OLD pair of diagonal cutters to grip and pry the pin from the end you're moving it toward. Once the pin is out, get a new one of the same size. Do not re-use the old one UNLESS it is perfectly straight and bears no scars from the removal.
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah, there's definately no directionality. Follow Just4's advice.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Better get your cussin tank filled before you start.

Comment

• WayneJ
          • Jan 2004
          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Check your shop for any visitors. Make sure Murphy aint around.
          Wayne
          Wayne J

Comment

Working...