• kramer katt
    Established Member
    • Aug 2004
    • SO CAL, USA
    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

HF small DC $63

Anyone have experience with the 94029?
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=94029
    1hp mini dust collector $79.99 less 20 percent (actually $64 plus tax)
    rated at 920 cfm a little suspect but could be used for one low demand tool such as a BT3k?
    They state that this is on sale as a NEW item but I have seen these on display at least a year ago. the impeller housing looks more like a casting than the others of sheet metal but is still really sheet metal. Also I believe has a direct drive universal motor rather than heftier motors on the other DCs. But still at this price may outperform a shop vac by a good margin especially if the bag is replaced and a cyclone canister added. Maybe the small 5 gallon one.
    any thoughts?
    kk
    edited
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
    --Albert Einstein
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

KK. I'm sure you will get many opinions so allow me to give mine. As far as using it instead of a vac other then the fact that it wouldn't be as flexible due to the hose size it would probably be fine for certain applications such as sucking up the chips and large visible dust especially if close up or attached to a tool. What it won't do is suck up the extremely tiny dust which is the most harmful and major concern for your lungs. This you would need a proper sized DC. I also believe due to the rating it wouldn't even be as effective as a vac with one of the good separately purchased HEPA filters as far as being able to eliminate smaller air borne dust. I've read that vac's without a really good filter like a HEPA can actually distribute more of the fine sawdust out then what it catches inside the vac. I have a DC, air cleaner and vac. I love my vac but it has it's limitations and I use it accordingly and operate it only if and when I have a good mask on. Mostly for cleaning off tables and floors in other words. So in closing I'd suggest you take that money and apply it to one of the other tools that you'll need to combat this dust problem. After all, we'll go through buying tools and lumber and such many times but you only have one set of lungs and they should be protected even over and above doing this great hobby. My opinion.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• kramer katt
      Established Member
      • Aug 2004
      • SO CAL, USA

Mac
      thanks for your thoughts. I understand the seriousness of fine dust control. I have lost a couple relatives who worked in construction due to lung cancer.
      My shop is a shared garage where tools get pushed out of the way when done. Also used very intermittently. My idea was that this might be a temporary step up from the shop vac until I had room and money for a proper DC.
      Could you explain what on this little DC causes poor removal of fine dust. Is it the cloth bag that filters maybe only larger dust or is the low powered motor and fan to weak to pull the dust into the collector. Just trying to get more knowledge on the subject.
      kk
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by kramer katt
        Mac
        thanks for your thoughts. I understand the seriousness of fine dust control. I have lost a couple relatives who worked in construction due to lung cancer.
        My shop is a shared garage where tools get pushed out of the way when done. Also used very intermittently. My idea was that this might be a temporary step up from the shop vac until I had room and money for a proper DC.
        Could you explain what on this little DC causes poor removal of fine dust. Is it the cloth bag that filters maybe only larger dust or is the low powered motor and fan to weak to pull the dust into the collector. Just trying to get more knowledge on the subject.
        kk
        "the cloth bag that filters maybe only larger dust"
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

I am happy to give you my opinion KK but please note that I am no expert and only trying to past along what I feel is basic advice with the limited knowledge I have on the subject. So saying that I feel the 1HP motor is sufficient and with 950 CFM which actually is rather impressive for a small compact unit like that those 2 aspects are good. The area I see as not too good is the bag like Loring mentioned. You will be using it as a DC I know so just want to point out that although it is called a DC in my opinion it isn't because to me the word DC implies that it should be able to collect the tiniest duct particles as well as the chips and larger dust and it won't with that bag. Now if you would wear a good quality dust mask and leave the mask on for a least an hour after shutting the DC off you would be helping yourself a lot. Understand that dust takes longer then that to settle but I know I can't convince you to leave it on all the time so in my opinion I'd say an hour is far better then nothing. I guess my point is if you are going to work wood anyway and it sounds like you are then at least do the minimum to protect your health since that unit will not. It's only to keep the area clean nothing else so that's why I feel a vac with a good filter would be a better buy but it's hard to say because it all depends on what tools you'd be using it for and how you would do the hook up to the tool. It's really comparing oranges to apples but in my opinion it's closer to a bulky ( hose wise ) vac then a proper DC. I think the vac would be better overall or better yet save up and wait for the HF DC to go on sale for $149.00 and buy it knowing that you will still have to upgrade the bags when money permits but at least you won't be wasting $79.00. Anyway there's my thoughts. Hope others will chime in.
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• THyman
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Originally posted by lcm1947
            I think the vac would be better overall or better yet save up and wait for the HF DC to go on sale for $149.00 and buy it knowing that you will still have to upgrade the bags when money permits but at least you won't be wasting $79.00. Anyway there's my thoughts. Hope others will chime in.

You can get the HF for about $120 with a 20% off coupon. See attached.
            http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=20958

You can get this issue of American Woodworker at Lowes.
            War Eagle!

Comment

• sacherjj
              Not Your Average Joe
              • Dec 2005
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I think you would be better with the $69.95 Ridgid shop vac plus $40 gift card from HD, than the small HF dust collector. Get some shop vac bags and a good filter with the gift card and it will do a better job with fine dust.
              Joe Sacher

Comment

• kramer katt
                Established Member
                • Aug 2004
                • SO CAL, USA

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I think I will mostly work outside this summer wearing a good dustmask and pick up the HF 2HP in the fall. There's also the chance that someone may unload a delta or jet or JDS at a yard sale,http://www.bt3central.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
                Wink
                Saw a shopsmith 3300 DC on the LA craigslist but was selling for $300 and looked smaller than the HF. Claimed to sell for $700 new
                kk
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...