• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Welcome back. Now to quote my good friend Mudder "YOU SUCK"!

Enjoy that shop! By the way, where is the hammock?
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

Nicely done Todd - don't be such a stranger!
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• MilDoc

OMG! JEALOUS!!! Beautiful shop (and house)... Shop just needs a bed and fridge and I could live there!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Fantastic shop, Todd. Welcome back.
          ken

Comment

• hermit
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Somerset, PA, USA.

Thanks alot guys. I hope to post a little more now. It just seems I've always got something else to do (I can't do it at work anymore). In fact I checked in today at work, but our computers are so obsolete and "protected" that I couldn't post a reply.

About the floor... it was actually a lot of work. Its just 3/4" plywood. I cut the planks about 5.75", tongue and grooved each one, and layed it like a regular plank floor. There are two screws on each end of each board, and the holes are plugged with 1/2" plugs. Looks pretty nice up close. I made 2 jigs for my router to do this. The finish is 2 coats of real thin poly and linseed oil for a sealer, then a couple coats of Permakote Bowling Alley wax. I squeak along all day when walking.

The ceiling isn't really that high. Its only 8ft. I wish I would have done 9 ft, but with a 10 ft in the garage, I was afraid it might end up higher than the house. In the end I could have done it easily, but hey, hindsight. I actually would have done a lot of other things different too, but its hard to think of everything. I thought about electric though and have plenty of that.

Someone asked how I get stuff up and down. Like I said, the firs picture is from the vantage point of just coming up the stairs from inside. There is plenty of room up the staircase. Just in case I incorporated a little swing out gate into the 3 ft wall surrounding the opening (you can see it where the chairs are in the one pic) to give me more room just in case. The future deck was supposed to fill this need. The deck was to stretch the whole way across the back of the building, and the steps were to go down the side out towards the front, so I could haul lumber in, projects out and what not. What I've found is that the steps inside are more than ample, and I store my rough lumber downstairs anyway, so the deck may have some changes coming. It was put on hold simply due to $$ for the time being.

Talk to you all later,
            I'll try to get a closer shot of the floor later

Todd

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

Hi Todd! Good to "see" you again. What a shop. . . .man. . . that's just awesome.
              Brian

Comment

• JTimmons
                • Feb 2005
                • Denver, CO.
                • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Okay, I am not in any way knocking it, that is a pretty sweet set up, but is it just me or does he need 2 signs over the garage doors one saying "Engine No. 1" and the other "Ladder No. 1". The outside kind of reminds me of an older fire station.
                "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Todd,

Can I come live with you, I promise to leave the family at home.

Seriously, I know people who'd kill for a shop like yours, what's your exact address???

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

That's a sweet set up Todd. Hope you get lot's of time to enjoy it. Oh, welcome back!
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...