• Show
Clear All
  • Deadhead
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
    • BT3100

Alarm for outbuilding

A cop friend just had his shed broken into and cleaned out. Since many people here have a detached workshop - not to mention the value of all the goodies inside it - I thought I'd pass along info on the alarm he has now installed.

The "The Reporter" Wireless Alert System
    List Price: $79.99
    Price: $59.07 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

He has the motion detecor attached to a tree in the backyard pointed to the shed. He figures that by the time they get in, grab what they can and are ready to exit, he'll meet them at the door with his Remington 12 gauge.

I haven't seen it, so I can offer no opinion or other information.
    "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

Careful! Your friend is a cop. You are not. You shouldn't confront somebody with a gun unless you are ready to use it, and many states don't recognize your right as a civilian to use deadly force to protect your property exclusive of any personal danger to yourself or your family. Your shed is NOT IN YOUR HOUSE, so you may cross the line if you go outside to shoot somebody. Even here in Florida, which has some of the most notoriously liberal gun rights laws, where you CAN shoot somebody outside your house if you feel threatened, there are still legal tests which must be passed if you are to be judged blameless.

An alarm is good, but use a good loud one, so the intruder will run (even if you are not home). Then call the cops if you hear it, and ask your neighbors to do the same. Sometimes even putting alarm company stickers on your shed will be enough of a deterrant.
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Once dust settles over, you can tell the arriving cops that the crooks apparently tried to use the machinery in your shop, and safety techniques don't seem to be well known among criminals. Yes, you regret all the amputated heads, arms and legs, and you will make sure to lock the shop more thoroughly in the future....

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

He was carrying a hammer from my shop, I felt threatened by this.

Next..

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

When the prior owner of my house built the shop he had the homes alarm system extended to cover the shop on a separate partition. What this means is althought it is one alarm system it can act as two and allow the shop or homes partition to be set independently. This means I only need one monitoring account.

As for protecting one's property using deadly force. Up intil a month ago all but 2 of the US states that allow the private ownership of handguns have Castle Doctrine laws on the books. The 2 states that did not were Arizona and Ohio. Arizona law was changed a few weeks ago and now follows the Castle Doctrine which says if someone breaks into your home or vehicle it is assumed they they intend to do bodily harm and therefore you can use deadly force. It also put the burden of proof upon the prosecution which intil the recent change was not the case in AZ. This would cover any secured structure on your private property including a shop.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Mogo
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2004

I had a Reporter for my drive and took it back because of its limited transmitter distance. It could not go beyond 300 feet I think but any obstacle like a tree or wall we reduce the signal.

I ended up with a Optex RC-10u which has better transmitter range and better detectors to prevent false alarms...problem with cheap units is false alarms cased by animals, wind or reflected light.

Comment

• Deadhead
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by just4funsies
              Careful! Your friend is a cop. You are not.
              The only 'gun' I own connects to a compressor. And I think the pancake compressor would scare them off anyway.
              "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• just4funsies
                • Dec 2005
                • Florida.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by maxparot
                As for protecting one's property using deadly force. Up intil a month ago all but 2 of the US states that allow the private ownership of handguns have Castle Doctrine laws on the books. The 2 states that did not were Arizona and Ohio. Arizona law was changed a few weeks ago and now follows the Castle Doctrine which says if someone breaks into your home or vehicle it is assumed they they intend to do bodily harm and therefore you can use deadly force. It also put the burden of proof upon the prosecution which intil the recent change was not the case in AZ. This would cover any secured structure on your private property including a shop.
                Sorry, but this distinction IS NOT absolute. Florida has been a Castle state for eons, and there are many well-documented cases where the courts have set aside Castle cases where it was obvious that the homeowner defied the reason and spirit of the law. If you blow away a homeless person you found in your tool shed trying to keep warm, I GUARANTEE you will run afoul of the courts, especially when his next of kin gets through suing you in civil court. Too many people are waving the Castle card like it's "get out of jail free" time, but many courts take a dim view of this, and they have the latitude to deal with it. It's just not worth the risk for the homeowner who is not clearly being threatened, especially when a call to the cops will solve the problem. I know firsthand how much trouble can still result, even when one is unquestionably in the right.

Now, on the lighter side, another thing to consider is that your insurance will allow you to get ALL NEW TOOLS!!! Dang! I HATE when that happens...
                Last edited by just4funsies; 05-22-2006, 09:22 PM.
                ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• maxparot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Mesa, Arizona, USA.

Originally posted by just4funsies
                  Now, on the lighter side, another thing to consider is that your insurance will allow you to get ALL NEW TOOLS!!! Dang! I HATE when that happens...
                  I like the tools I have. I spent a lot of time and money acquiring them. They all have their intended uses including the guns. And I'd rather pay for a good attorney than have to rely on the police to save me or my family.
                  The police don't live with you, it takes time for them to respond, that time could make all the difference in an emergency.
                  The difference between a police officer using deadly force and you is in training.
                  My suggestion to any and all gun owner is get training.
                  Be familiar with your weapon and be prepared to use it under the right circumstances.
                  And if you should need to use deadly force make no statements and say nothing unless your attorney tells you to!
                  Opinions are like gas;

Comment

• Tim Clark
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Bangor, Maine, USA.

I've found that simply buying a couple of those "Warning Premises Protected by..." signs and posting them where they can be seen provides pretty good protection from most amature thieves. Many security companies will sell you just the signs. Put up a dummy camera or two and you've doubled the effect.

You can get a discount on your insurance too, it counts as a securitt system/anti-theft devise. Same applies to your car.

Cheap, simple, effective, non-confrontational, no lawsuits.

Just my $0.02
                    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

Comment

• sacherjj
                      Not Your Average Joe
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I'm putting up a 10x14 shed right now. When designing the plans, I decided to eliminate windows and put in a 2'x2' skylight. The main reason for this was so no-one could see inside to figure out if it was worth breaking in to steal anything. I think a sticker might help out too, being that the home has an alarm system installed.
                      Joe Sacher

Comment

• dlminehart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • San Jose, CA, USA.

I bet one wouldn't get far arguing with a cop or judge or jury that, because you'd had gun training, you had the same rights to shoot people as a cop! Especially if the person you shot was just stealing some tools from a detached shed out in your yard or at the other end of your ranch. Breaking into your house is another story.
                        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Whaler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Sequim, WA, USA.
                          • DW746

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an intruder if my life was threatened but not for trying to steal my tools. I think a big Doberman would be appropriate for the thief. Of course the Doderman should have been taught to go for the family jewels.
                          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Tamarack
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2003
                            • Speedwell, TN USA
                            • BT3100

We each need to take what precautions we can, remembering that it is not the responsibility of most law enforcement officers to "protect" anyone other than prisoners (arrestees). Their charter in almost all jurisdictions is to investigate and apprehend lawbreakers AFTER THE FACT.

Paul (Idaho certified LE for 20 years)

Comment

• maxparot
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.

Originally posted by dlminehart
                              I bet one wouldn't get far arguing with a cop or judge or jury that, because you'd had gun training, you had the same rights to shoot people as a cop! Especially if the person you shot was just stealing some tools from a detached shed out in your yard or at the other end of your ranch. Breaking into your house is another story.
                              The point isn't that training gives you any more or less rights to use deadly force.
                              The fact of the matter is that with or without training you have the same rights and responsibilties as a police officer where deadly force is concerned.

The arguement is that you need to be prepared for the fact that your life may be threatened and if threatened you have every right to use deadly force. And should be properly trained as to when and how you are justified in it's use

Under the Castle Doctrine it is assumed that if someone commits a felony by breaking and entering then they would also be willing to commit a further felony to avoid capture or prosecution. This implies that they pose a serious threat to you and or your family. This is all that is legally necessary to justify the use of deadly force.

One more thing... one would not argue with a cop, judge or jury after being properly trained.
                              That person would call his attorney to take care of that and would probably enjoy a good nights sleep, at home, in his own bed that night.

Be smart be a boyscout "Be Prepared"
                              Last edited by maxparot; 05-24-2006, 01:58 AM.
                              Opinions are like gas;

Comment

Working...