• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Dust control options for a lathe

I am in the process of planning/installing duct work for the HF DC. I have a Delta 12" lathe that I am considering hooking up also. I haven't used it so I don't know what to expect as far as dust and chips. (I want to take a turning class before I hurt myself sticking those sharp pointy thingys into a revolving mass of wood).

I have seen where some of you have made a hood for a CMS. Would something like this be used for a lathe also.

Thanks

Ken
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I set up this articulated contraption to hold the end of a hose near the area I'm working. I was mostly interested in capturing sanding dust at the time, for which this works very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe DC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	779244

I haven't taken the next step, which is to make a hood, partly because I'm dubious of how well it would work. I do have a DC floor sweep attachment just below the lathe.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I use a section of semi-flexible metal dryer duct for the last couple feet. It can be bent and moved pretty much everywhere I produce dust or shavings. Doesn't look great but works well.

Comment

• Rayclav
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2005
        • BC, Canada.
        • Craftsman 10 inch

I made a dust hood from wood and plastic similar to those that can be bought from some suppliers. However, I found it heavy and awkward to move around and on one occasion damaged a finished project on it; I junked it and made one from a cardboard box! It's very light and it won't matter if anything contacts it. I simply rienforced it where the dust tube enters in the rear and it works really well. It doesn't look pretty yet a coat of paint would solve that.

I also attached a lightweight 4 inch hose to the inside of the box which has rare earth magnest taped to it thereby making a simple matter to "glue" it to almost any spot on the lathe bed, banjo, or tool rest. If working really close to the work with the cardboard box I slip off the tube that attaches to the inside.

Works well for me.

R

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Here are some of the options....sorry for the horrible links....

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...t&cookietest=1

Obviously variants of these are probably available elsewhere as well.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• kwgeorge
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Alvin, TX, USA.

I use the clear plastic one from Rockler on the mini lathe and I have a 4” to 6” metal adapter that I use on the big lathe. One thing I should mention is that I only use the dust collection for sanding as trying to use it on large curly shavings is an exercise in futility.

Comment

• lago
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Lago Vista, TX.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will wait and see how much of a mess it makes and then go from there.

Ken

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by lago
                Thanks for the input. I guess I will wait and see how much of a mess it makes and then go from there.
                In my opinion for sanding on the lathe, especially when working with spalted or exotic woods, dust collection is a must. It doesn't have to be fancy I am quite happy with my corrugated dryer vent pipe.

The problem with that fine dust is that repeated exposure can eventually trigger a serious allergic reaction, even if working with the same wood for years before seemed fine. Don't risk it!

Comment

Working...