• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

ZCTP for benchtop saw

Most of you don't have a problem buying or making a zero clearance throat plate for your saw, but it seems most cheap benchtop saws aren't designed with ZCTPs in mind. Mine came with a metal TP that has over half an inch gap around the blade. The TP is supported by several shallow irregular supports and the other side of the opening has a chaffered edge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zctp-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	788817

All the people on this site with the attitude of creating their own solutions to problems rather than spending more money for new tools got me thinking that i didn't have to suffer with no ZCTP until i upgraded my saw. For my first, i freehand routed one from a piece of plywood. It worked, but took a lot of time cutting, testing it out, cutting some more, testing it out, etc. I needed to make a new one for a while as i've used different sized blades, but i didn't want to spend that time again. I finally broke it the other day raising the blade too high when using my crosscut sled so i had no choice. Instead of investing the time to make a new one freehand, i made a set of templates

I spent a while measuring out the profile of the opening and drawing a diagram. Since there are three different depths, drew up three different templates and cut them out of 1/4" hardboard.

Name:	zctp-1.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	788818

Now when i need a new ZCTP, i just cut the blank, load up the right bushing and bits, go through the sequence of templates, and drill a couple of holes for the screws. I use rubber washers to level it with the table.

Name:	zctp-3.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	788819

Name:	zctp-4.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	788820
    Eric
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Good method, Eric. Geeze, that insert is a nightmare to make. Your end result looks excellent, tho.
    k

Comment

Working...