• Show
Clear All
  • tg3
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2004
    • Seattle, WA.
    • Grizzly G0444Z

Noisy Delta AP200 air filter

I hung the Delta AP200 air filter in my small shop this weekend. Very nice unit, but it is really noisy.

It makes two noises:
    * a loud <whoosh> (of course, it's a 750 CFM air filter).
    * a very piercing whine that even penetrates into the house.

No abnormal vibrations to suggest something came loose in shipment.

I'd like some comments and advice. Is this whine normal? Suggestions for noise reduction? And any suggestions on a 'speed control' to reduce the fan speed and a timer control are welcome.

TIA.
    If you don't measure, you don't know.
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I have the JDS 750 unit(3 speeds). It's really quite on low speed and not too loud on high. I don't know if all Delta's are loud or not. I'm not sure if you could controll the fan speed with something like a router speed controler or not but you can buy a timer for around $10 at Lowes that plugs into the wall and the plug the air cleaner into it.
    Good luck on getting the noise under control.
    DonHo
    Don

Comment

• just4funsies
      • Dec 2005
      • Florida.
      • BT3000

I have the Delta unit with 3-speeds and remote control. Although the sound level gets up there on high speed (that's 1200-cfm), it's quite tolerable on the other two settings, and there is no "whine" at all... Just the sound of air moving through a squirrel cage.
      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

I have a couple month old Delta AP200. It exhibits none of those problems.

Comment

• tg3
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2004
          • Seattle, WA.
          • Grizzly G0444Z

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          I have a couple month old Delta AP200. It exhibits none of those problems.
          Thanks, Jeff. No whine at all? Guess I'll have to call Delta...

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by tg3
            Thanks, Jeff. No whine at all? Guess I'll have to call Delta...
            Nope, in fact between the time I posted and now I have been running it during a sanding festival in my shop. It is just a solid, deep motor/wind sound.

Side note, I have a real love/hate relationship with sanding. I'm building a down draft table tommorow.

Comment

• Rob R
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • West, Michigan.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
              Nope, in fact between the time I posted and now I have been running it during a sanding festival in my shop. It is just a solid, deep motor/wind sound.

Side note, I have a real love/hate relationship with sanding. I'm building a down draft table tommorow.

Jeff,
              if you have a sander that will take a shop vac hose, do that, i have the ridgid and hook it up using the smaller hole with a ridgid detail kit hose that's about 10 feet hooked up to the shop vac 2 1-2 hose and it works great. you have to wear ear protection, but between that and my jet air cleaner, there is no mess around the shop.

i forgot how messy sanding is, and sanded one board last week without this set up and just used the bag on the sander, dust everwhere. never again---well, maybe in 2-3 years after i forget how messy sanding is.

BTW: my jet makes no whine, just wind.

rob

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Seems like the whoosh is normal for an air cleaner.
                I'd take it apart and see if there is something sticking in the air stream that is causing the high pitched whine - could be a bit of flashing or leftover unremoved material in the air stream. If its high pitched it'll be small, like a few inches or less long. Take off the filter and carefully poke a long stick or other object around touching various parts around the edge of the air stream and see if touching them kills or changes the whine, that'll be the source of the whine if it does. Just watch out for the impellor or squirrel-cage, don't get the stick or any body parts in that!

If you do find it, Probably you can kill it by bending it back slightly or changing the shape or protrusion in to the wind. or cut it off.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-17-2006, 10:07 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Seems like the whoosh is normal for an air cleaner.
                  I'd take it apart and see if there is something sticking in the air stream that is causing the high pitched whine - could be a bit of flashing or leftover unremoved material in the air stream. If its high pitched it'll be small, like a few inches or less long. Take off the filter and carefully poke a long stick or other object around touching various parts around the edge of the air stream and see if touching them kills or changes the whine, that'll be the source of the whine if it does. Just watch out for the impellor or squirrel-cage, don't get the stick or any body parts in that!

If you do find it, Probably you can kill it by bending it back slightly or changing the shape or protrusion in to the wind. or cut it off.
                  If its new I would return for a new one. There is no way that I would start poking around trying to correct a manufacturers defect if it is in the warrenty period, but hey maybe I'm chicken/lazy. Couldn't it be just as likely that the loud whine is coming from the motor?
                  If it is not in warranty, I would open it (with it unplugged) to check for any obstructions or protrusions as noted above. However I wouldn't do that with it running. Dear God man have you not witness what happened to Nemo when he tried to swim through such a contraption??!??!

Comment

• tg3
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Seattle, WA.
                    • Grizzly G0444Z

I may just leave it alone. LOML and I had quite the bonding experience hoisting the #@%! thing up to the hooks on the ceiling. I'd be pressing my luck to ask to her to help me drag it down.

Comment

Working...