• Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

workbench top from IKEA

I seen someone talking about this a while back and on our way to DC this weekend we stopped at an IKEA and I picked up a 6'X2' solid beach counter top to make a nice work bench. it appears to be warped on everyside toward the center. Basically every corner touches and there is a slight curve on everyside almost like they meant to do it that way. Which way do you think I should use it? bowl up or down????
    I am not going to try to flatten it with the truck and since its maybe meant to be that way my initial guess would be to make the center the highest point. make sense? Maybe it will flatten out once its in the garage??
    Would poly on one side help it go back? Its made of a tons of small pieces of wood so I think they meant to do it this way. every side is equally curved.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by onedash; 01-26-2007, 10:33 AM.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

You could rig one of those jigs that suspends a router over the whole surface, leveling it out. How much did they charge you for the top?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• onedash
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Maryland
      • Craftsman 22124

$59 I think it was. They had an oak one that was twice as thick but It was $129. they had a few bigger sizes and one smaller too and a few other kinds of wood.
      No maple though.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Personally, I'd take it back - too warped for use as a workbench.
        There's no reason to make a curved table top except by accident and then call it curved to sell it to some one.

Or, use it for a dining room table and take your dining room table out to the garage.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jbalders
          Established Member
          • Oct 2003
          • Vienna, VA, USA.
          • BT3100 + Shopsmith

If it were me, I'd:

1) flip it cup up (corners up)
          2) build a frame to go underneath it
          3) use clamps to pull the edges/corners down and attach with glue and screws. Maybe using pocket screws.

I'd build the frame using some good hard wood (ipe? ), two long pieces and four cross pieces. The frame could be used for attaching some sort of base or a vise or other attachments, if done right.

Or just park a truck on top of it for a few days.
          Last edited by jbalders; 04-10-2006, 10:20 PM.
          Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I had to fit six of those beech worktops recently (two joined along the long edge for a breakfast bar) and all of them we as they were meant to be - perfectly flat. I'd return it pronto.

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

it would cost about $60 for gas and be about a 5 hour round trip if I return it.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by onedash
                it would cost about $60 for gas and be about a 5 hour round trip if I return it.
                Over here, you can return their stuff to any branch, but if that's the nearest IKEA, probably not worth it - bummer!

Because of the way they're made (loads of small staves, glued and finger-jointed together), it'll be a real bear trying to straighten it out. If there were a few joints it might be possible, but the amount of glued surfaces means that it probably skewed when made and that's just how it'll stay. Nothing to lose by sealing just one side to see if it creeps back, but I wouldn't hold my breath! If it doesn't move, I think you'll have to live with it. Trying to plane off the raised corners (with the cup uppermost) would be a nightmare, as you'd keep running into end grain at the start of each stave.

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Just return it to the nearest IKEA. Or throw it out. You will not make it flat easily - and constructing a special frame that would keep it flat is gonna cost you a mighty extra.

Was it warped when you were bying it?

Comment

• onedash
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Maryland
                    • Craftsman 22124

well I called em and they said they would ship a replacement I just gotta find the receipt. I think its in the van which I dropped off this morning for a transmission leak.
                    Should have it back this afternoon. Thats the closest IKEA around.

Comment

• venkatbo
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Warning: Probably a dumb idea... but here it is anyways...
                      This requires a TS/outfeed-table, jointer/planer, clamps/biscuit-joiner...

If you have a 6"+ jointer, cut lengthwise on the TS into 6" strips. If you have a 12"+ planer, you can cut it into 12" strips. Square the strips on the jointer/planer. If you have a biscuit joiner, create slots and add biscuits. Whether you have the biscuit joiner or not, glue and rejoin/clamp the strips back ensuring no warpage.

HTH,
                      /venkat

Comment

• vaking
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I am using one of such countertops for my makeshift workbench. You will have to make a good support frame for this countertop anyway if you want a good workbench. I have this countertop, I put a 3/4" sheet of MDF on top of it for weight and thickness and it still sags in the center when I use hand plane.
                        Alex V

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

Sarge,

This is the method I used to flatten my bench top. I used some straight angle iron for my runners.

Steve
                          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• onedash
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2005
                            • Maryland
                            • Craftsman 22124

well the reason I bought this was to save time. I know the wood is not worth the price and I could have made one cheaper but this is already done. I called em back with my receipt and the store is supposed to call within three days. they better tell me they are shipping a replacement.
                            I am gonna build the rest of it out of poplar. It wont be nothing to fancy.
                            I made my first drawer today with dovetails. That will be a seperate post.
                            But I have not decided how much I plan to do with this. Im thinking I might make it into a mobile work table. I have one thrown together with an old desk top and 2X4's thats pretty wobbly. And I butchered my old work bench to put my router table on. So Id like to cut that up to the right size using whats there. Im on vacation this week so I gotta try and get a lot done. Will spend most of it working on the drawers for my desk I think. 1 down 7 to go (I think) made the first one to big.

Comment

Working...