X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btv
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

SMT miter fence info

I can never keep the fence straight. The plastic pin in the miter fence has slop in it the fence will pivot on the fence clamp. I searched and didn't see anything on this. Do you make your own to fix the problem? I put on a stop block on the back to help stop its movement but not very convenient. I tried spreading the tongs out on it but that was not very successful. Or is this not a very common problem. I saw in one of the articles some one made a fence on the back of the SMT and I liked that idea.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by btv
    I can never keep the fence straight. The plastic pin in the miter fence has slop in it the fence will pivot on the fence clamp. I searched and didn't see anything on this. Do you make your own to fix the problem? I put on a stop block on the back to help stop its movement but not very convenient. I tried spreading the tongs out on it but that was not very successful. Or is this not a very common problem. I saw in one of the articles some one made a fence on the back of the SMT and I liked that idea.
    I assume you have the black pivot pin in the correct hole by the edge of the SMT either right or left (usually right). Mine's a snug fit still after 5 years of use, in and out. Some times people put the pivot pin in the slot which doesn't work right at all.

Some people have reported the pivot pin worn and have put a wrap of tape around it.

Some people have reported that the pivot pin has some play in the black base, it's important that the spring tension thing goes to the correct side, I think its towards the front so as you push on it it won't move.

Once in a while people place the washer under the fence instead of under the knob and above the fence. That causes problems.

I assume you are not using the miter clamp accessory which can cause another set of problems.

Did you read the BT3 FAQ, you can find a link in the first thread under "Getting Started" discussions.

It shoudl work OK, mine is solid as a rock.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• btv
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

The black pin is tight in the table but, in the miter fence it will flop to either side. And it will fall down the slot it's in. I don't know if there's a difference but it's the latest craftsman’s version of the 3100 (21829). It will pivot at the clamp. The quick stop would go tight and loose and I was adjusting everything until I found what it was doing. Not a good feeling when you buy a new saw and in the middle of a project when you find it. As it would always be.
      Last edited by btv; 04-02-2006, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• gary
        • May 2004
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

Every thie I see this come up it turns out to be a technique question. How & where do you push the SMT when cutting?

I try to push at the pivot point now but fall into bad habits sometimes. I was going to try and glue some fine sandpaper on the bottom of the fence to see if it helps the problem. Not dont that yet.
        Gary

Comment

• mdutch
          Established Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Dallas, TX, USA.

Eeeeewwww, this sounds like what I thought my symptoms were a while back. My fence was rocking when I tightened it, and I thought it was pivoting on the plastic pin. Also had binding on the bolt once it was tightened. Did my SMT needing new parts? (shudder)

After much searching and head scratching, I glanced at the exploded diagram of the fence, and realized I had taken it apart once and re-assembled it wrong!!

LCHIEN mentioned it first, but I'd like to focus on this key issue:

The flat-washer goes ON TOP OF THE FENCE, right under the knob, NOT against the bolt-head. If the washer is against the bolt head, the whole assembly rocks out of square when you tighten the assembly. Moved the washer to the top, and voila! SMT works just like the first day I got it.

Make sure you've got the washer on top before you decide the assembly is moving on ya! Amazing how "sick" your SMT can get if that lil' part isn't installed correctly.
          Dutch·man Pronunciation (dchmn)n.
          3. Something used to conceal faulty construction.
          Another DFW BT3'er!

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Maybe this might help?

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 11:28 PM.
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• btv
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

No that was the first thing i did was recheck the diagram to make sure I wasn't putting it together wrong. I could help it by pushing it different but I thank RodKurby has something there. Or put a piece under the miter fence and a pin and attached to the bottom of the fence. I was going to try to make an other pin piece that fit tighter but was worried about the slot width might very and I wouldn't be fixing the problem.

Also I found out that the SMT when it's in between the rails. The bottom plate will flex so you can't over hang anything with out support. So I made some in feed, out feed & side combo tables that one side sit on the rail, but found it was flexing the rail and table so I guess I need to support it under the rails also. You got to remember that this is a portable base on this Craftsman’s model.
              Last edited by btv; 04-02-2006, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• btv
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006

I rechecked the fence to see if I missed anything you guys were talking about. And looked at the black base to the pin. It was on backwards from what you said. The solid side was toward the operator side. And from what I take, if you push the fence it would flex away from you when the pin is in the right side hole. Does that sound right to you? Maybe that’s it I hope. I share the space with the car so I’ll have to try it out later. And that’s why I got a fold up saw they don't like to share.

Comment

Working...